Day 40: floating the Río Mopan in the afternoon

San Ignacio Travel Blog

lady doing her washing in the Río Mopan

Once back at the Trek Stop it was time for something different: Tubing!

The principle of tubing is simple. One taketh an inflated inner tube of a truck (hence the name), positions tube in water, then positions oneself in the tube, and then let the current and rapids in the river do the rest.

This was really cool, and really relaxing. Just lying in the tube and floating past little houses and beautiful surroundings. I have to admit that at the first rapid I got slightly nervous. After all, this was a fast flowing river with sharp rocks, and I *was* lying in a rubber tube. But after the first rapid it was clear, this wasn't scary, this was fun!

And from the water we literally saw hundreds of huge water iguanas, basking in the sun.

Tubing the Río Mopan
Fortunately I had taken the little under water camera I had bought on Caye Caulker, so finally I could take a picture of one.

We met another group of tubers, we quite literally bumped into them. Two Australian sisters and an American. The six of us continued to float downstream together.

Seven rapids later (the last one a minor waterfall) we arrived at a lodge, which was to be the end of our little trip. We were welcomed with a nice hot cup of coffee, after which the owner of the Trek Stop came to pick us up again.

To celebrate Robbel's birthday I cooked dinner tonight. I know, her birthday was yesterday, but yesterday I hadn't been able to buy the ingredients I needed. As a little ode to our nights in Outback Australia I cooked a Thai Curry.

Tubing the Río Mopan
Despite that fact that in Belize you can't really buy any authentic Thai ingredients. So apart from the excellent coconut milk (one of the main exports of this country) we had to make do with Indian Curry Madras powder, some withered vegetables, very long-cooking rice and some meat which in frozen condition we had classified as chicken.

Once I started to fry the meat I was surprised that the chicken had been cut in rather weird pieces and while cooking it sort of fell apart. Only when we tasted the food we found out it wasn't chicken we had bought, but crab!

And so I had created a delicious Thai Indian Belizean Madras Crab Curry!

After dinner Robbel and I hitched back to San Ignacio where met up with the two girls (Tally and Laura) and the American guy (Derek) we had met this afternoon.

lady doing her washing in the Río…
lady doing her washing in the Rí…
Iguana