Day 39: Mountain Pine Ridge National Park

Mountain Pine Ridge Travel Blog

Mountain Pine Ridge National Park

“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you” he sang at 6:30 the next morning, with a hoarse still sleepy sounding voice. It was Robbel's birthday and I had actually thought of it when I woke up!

The birthday party was an excursion to the Mountain Pine Ridge National Park. This is a national park created to (as you probably guessed) protect the pine forests. Unfortunately that hadn't really worked. About a year or two ago they had a problem with some kind of African bug, which had been brought here accidentally, and subsequently killed off 90% of the trees in the park!

It was a rather sad view, nothing but dead trees everywhere.

The tour we had booked was a bit of everything. We visited three waterfalls, one of which was suitable for swimming.

Mountain Pine Ridge National Park
Furthermore we had a nice, slippery walk through a bit of tropical rainforest and we also visited a big cave.

On the way back to San Ignacio we stopped at one of the many eco-lodges in the area, the Blancaneaux Lodge. This lodge is particularly special because of its owner, a certain Francis Ford Coppola. Francis himself wasn't around, but the helpful staff was happy to show us around the complex, showing us some of the cabins and facilities. I think I have found a place to spend my honeymoon.

It was a nice way to spend the day. Not the most impressive day trip I have ever done, but certainly a nice one, all the more because this region is so different from the eastern part of the country, but also because it is so completely different from neighbouring Mexico and Guatemala.

We didn't really do much to celebrate Robbel's birthday. We had dinner at Eva's restaurant in San Ignacio and went to bed early.

pms70 says:
Planning to married are you? :-P
Sounds like a nice place though...
Posted on: Mar 01, 2009
Mountain Pine Ridge Tour
Mountain Pine Ridge Tour
Mountain Pine Ridge National Park
entering the cave in Mountain Pine…
entering the cave in Mountain Pin…
Mountain Pine Ridge