Day 33: Valladolid - Cancún

Cancun Travel Blog

Cancun

We picked up our stuff in the hotel in Valladolid and drove on to Cancún. To get there we had two options: the normal road and the highway. The highway is literally the most expensive piece of road in the world (15 euros for less than 150 kilometres) but it shortens your journey with at least two hours, and saves you couple hundred speed bumps (which they love in this country).

We decided that today time was more important than money, so that we would have some more time to find a place to stay in Cancún before picking up our dad.

Cancún, what can I say about it. We never really planned to go here, for the sole reason that Cancún is as representative for Mexico as Lloret de Mar is for Spain, Zandvoort for The Netherlands and Van de Valk for the Dutch Antilles.

This city was 'founded' in 1970 as an Atlantic alternative to Acapulco, and judging from the amount of vacations to this place listed in the average travel agency you could say it was a moderate successful project.

The unreal blue-ness of the ocean at Cancun

And then again, why not. The weather is balmy, the beaches are white, the sea is warm and the resorts are set up in such a way that during the course of your stay there won't be any need to ever leave your hotel - what more could you possibly want?

Our dad would arrive at 3 PM at Cancún airport. After my experience of picking up Robbel in Mexico (where I had to wait over 3 hours) I wasn't in a particular hurry to be there at 3 o'clock sharp. The result was that by the time we had found a parking spot, close to 3:30, our dad was already outside waiting for us. With the large amount of tourists Cancún processes in a year it has become quite a bit more efficient than the capital.

It was a bit odd seeing my father at the other side of the world. For four years he had been saying he wanted to come visit me on at least 7 different continents, but I had never expected him to actually do it some day (after all, I'd done 5 continents already)

On the way back to our hotel we did a quick drive past the hotel strip along the coast, marvelling at the huge hotels located at the oceanfront.

Cancun

The hotel we had in town was slightly more modest.

We celebrated our little family reunion with a delicious dinner is a little restaurant near the hotel. One of the highlights from my previous trip to Mexico had been the delicious sea food along the coast. So far this trip we had only been to a coastal town once, so today I was finally able to feast on a great seafood dish again: fish, prawns, lobster, crab, squid, octopus – yummie!!

And at night it started raining. Imagine arriving in holiday destination numero uno, and getting the first rain in five weeks!

Cancun
The unreal blue-ness of the ocean …
The unreal blue-ness of the ocean…
biiiiig hotels in Cancún