Day 3: Mexico City - Guadalajara

Guadalajara Travel Blog

I had planned to take the night bus to Guadalajara tonight, but I must admit I was bored of Mexico City already so I checked out of my hotel and went to the bus station to take the first bus to Guadalajara.

7 hours later I arrived in Guadalajara, which is the second city of Mexico with 6 million people (compared to 29 million in Mexico City). On my previous trip to Mexico I had enjoyed Guadalajara much more than Mexico City, so I had decided this would be my base for the next week, until my sister would arrive.

Obviously I had a good reason for making Guadalajara my base, as my Dutch friend Miryam had migrated to Mexico ten months ago, and she was living in Guadalajara with her Mexican boyfriend David.

And what better way to acclimatise in a country than to stay in a Mexican home, with the possibility to speak Dutch as well if needed.

I had to get used to speaking Spanish again. Especially because Mexican-Spanish is quite different than the Chilean-Spanish I spoke.

In the evening some of David's friends came over, which made it even more difficult for me to follow the conversations, but it was a good trial by fire. I hadn't spoken Spanish in more than a year, so this was a good way to get used to the language again.

The excessive beer consumption (completed with some delicious tacos at midnight) and, I admit it, the slight jetlag caused me to collapse at three in the morning, so I retired to bed. Miryam didn't go to bed much later. The Mexicans continued until 7:30 the next morning. I guess us Dutch as slightly different than Mexicans, though it could of course be an age thing. Miryam is my age, David is three or four years younger. :)

photo by: monky