Day 17: Mexico City - Puebla

Puebla Travel Blog

cathedral in Puebla

In the morning we went for one final stroll through Mexico City (had a look at yet another little market) before taking the bus to Puebla.

I realised that I still hadn't seen the Mexican National Museum, even though it was my intention to do so. I passed through Mexico City twice on my trip in 1999, but didn't have a chance to visit the museum. And I had really wanted to do it this time, but because it was closed during Christmas it just didn't happen. A pity really, as apparently the museum is huge and well worth a day (or two). And after 4 visits to Mexico City I doubt I will come back here soon.

Anyway, on to Puebla. This is the third largest city in Mexico, with about 1.5 million inhabitants. It's a very nice city, especially because of the colonial centre. Apparently the Poblanos hold their Spanish ancestry very dear, as most new buildings in the centre are still built in colonial style.

The cathedral of Puebla has the highest towers in all of Mexico (85 metres) and for that alone is an impressive structure.

And in front of the cathedral is, as it should be, a large square where everything happens. The zócalo of Puebla is a very pleasant and shady square, and definitely one of the nicer zócalos in the country.

cathedral in Puebla
In every Mexican town all life hap…
In every Mexican town all life ha…
Puebla