Day 14: Mexico City

Mexico City Travel Blog

For the next 5 weeks my sister (http://www.travbuddy.com/robbel) will be travelling with me. Her flight was due to arrive at 17:15, so I had a day to entertain myself in Mexico City.

However, it is Christmas eve, so most of the city was closed after midday, and by 2 pm the streets were completely deserted!

I had been warned that most would be closed because of Christmas, and that the city wouldn't be much fun, but I had not expected everything to close this early.

It's funny really how I have been away from home for two weeks already, but only now is my trip really starting. I have to say this is a splendid way to travel, to first acclimatise for two weeks before the proper travelling starts. I know, I know, that's about as long as a normal vacation for most people. Woops!

Anyway, I was at the airport by half past five, where it turned out the flight was delayed by an hour and a half.

Nearly two hours later my dear sister Robbel came through customs, and boy was she happy to see me: “this is the last f#%&ing time I am flying intercontinental, because I f#%&ing hate f#%&ing flying and next time you f#%&ing have to travel with me because I never want to f#%&ing fly alone again for 12 f#$&ing hours, you f#%&ing f#%&ck!”

Yeah, I love you too sis.

We took a taxi to our hotel (a nice place which I had reserved two weeks ago) and I asked the taxi driver to drive around the Zócalo on the way, to show her the wonderful Christmas lights.

In the hotel we had a very nice, large and comfortable room, excellent for Robbel to rest after her journey, and also great to celebrate a decent Christmas.

Our Christmas eve dinner consisted of takeaway grilled chicken, since that was pretty much the only place open in the entire city. Tasted splendid, I must say.