Day 11: Kroketten for breakfast

Guadalajara Travel Blog

a true kroket (photo from Internet)

When David visited The Netherlands last year he didn't like it at all. Cold, weird people and terrible food. He hated everything he had tasted with the exception of one thing: Febo kroketten.

A kroket is somewhat difficult to explain to the non-Dutch, but I will try anyway. It is a traditional Ducth snack, served in every fast food restaurant in the country, and even in most restaurants as well. It consists of a thick type of beef-gravy or ragout which is rolled through breadcrumbs and deep-fried. Really, it tastes a lot better than it sounds. I have friends in Norway and each time they come over to Holland they ask me if we can go get some of that deep-fried gravy.

I am a qualified chef, and I could vaguely remember we once had to make kroketten during classes. So I figured, how hard could it be? And decided to show David how to make kroketten.

I found the recipe on the Internet and spent no less than two (!!) days preparing the stuff. First make a stock and cook the meat in it, then turn the stock into ragout, leave that to clot in the fridge for a night, then roll the kroketten and breadcrumb them, back into the fridge for another night and then finally on Saturday morning deep fry the bloody things. Great for breakfast, right?

I have to say, they tasted really really well. I was really impressed by myself, as was David. And I had made enough for two days.

For the non-Dutch wanting to give this a try (or Dutch who are about to embark on a trip to Mexico) here's the recipe: http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/Stock/Kroket.htm

Biedjee says:
yeah, I know. I was still shooting film at that time, so I have way too few photos of 'fun stuff' if you know what I mean. Plent pix of old buildings and boring ruins though ;)
Posted on: Feb 19, 2009
pms70 says:
If you had taken a picture of the ones you did we might have actually believed you... :-P
Posted on: Feb 19, 2009