Day 11: Guadalajara - Zacatecas

Zacatecas Travel Blog

hitting piñatas

For me it was time to go and do something again. Today I travelled to the city of Zacatecas, a silver mining town located some 300 kilometres north of Guadalajara.

Unfortunately it turned out I had chosen the wrong bus company. My bus, which was labelled first class “directo” stopped about every half hour in the villages along the way to pick up more people.

Throughout the journey they showed films which they must have purchased really cheaply somewhere. They were all German films, dubbed in Spanish, with terrific titles such as “Ein Elefant in mein Bett” and “Kloniert zum Morden” - exciting stuff, really.

Yup, these were 300 very long kilometres.

I arrived in Zacatecas around 7 PM, the whole day gone already. I checked into the cheapest (and probably also dirtiest) hostel in the city and walked into the city centre to see if anything was happening here.

It was really nice, because this was the last Saturday before Christmas. There were several street performances and live bands and there was a great atmosphere. At 9 o'clock a traditional ceremony where kids hit large Christmas stars hanging above the streets with sticks. I am not entirely sure about the background of these 'piñatas', but you see them throughout Mexico. I have seen it on TV once that candy came out of them, but that wasn't the case here.

montecarlostar says:
The piñatas was an educational and funny way the missionares created to teach the locals some theology. They were originally a balloon with 7 pikes, the pikes meaning the 7 capital sins and the stick you use to crush them means the force of will of humans to defeat sin. =)
Posted on: Apr 19, 2009
Koralifix says:
What an entertainment programme ;)
Posted on: Mar 19, 2009