The first weekend

San Jose Travel Blog

Tita the dog and i.

Blake and i didn't have to meet up with the volunteer group until Sunday, so we decided to get to know the "Tico culture" -- which ended up just making a lot of Tico friends and getting completely drunk our first few days in town.

Well, the first weekend was definitely an omen of what was to come. It was incredible, yet, dramatic.

My first memory is having Estelle laugh in my face. Estelle was a Tica lindisima who was working the desk at the Globetrotter's Hostel. (i would write an awesome review of this place, but my Tico sources have told me the manager fired all of the employees -- who also became my friends once i met them -- and the place is no longer the same since i saw it ... Nonetheless it was a great place in the university district/Barrio San Pedro, so it's worth looking into.) Anyway, she was laughing at my passport. She said i looked like "un terrorista o un hippie" in it! Well, i have long hair and a beard in my passport, and it hardly looks like me, so i got this reaction throughout my trip. But it was a great way to start a conversation with her, and she ended up inviting us out for drinks later on with her and a friend. We didn't know anyone else in the country, so we accepted of course.

That night was awesome. We were intoduced to a drink called "La Cucaracha," which you light on fire and have to drink through a straw before your straw melts from the fire! Estelle and her Tica friends told us they really only drank them to celebrate birthdays, but Blake and i thought it was awesome, so we ordered them all night anyway.

San Jose