First Day in San Ramon

San Ramon Travel Blog

Town had a pretty view

My first memory of San Ramon was getting off the bus at the bus station and watching some lady go up to Blake and ask "Ha Mace? Ha Mace?" or written in Spanish "Ja Mes? Ja Mes?" Which confused the hell out of us until she showed us a piece of paper which had "James" written on it. The "crazy lady" was actually our host mother. I asked her to please call me "Jim" from now on. "Jeeem?" she said. "Si," i responded, and Don~a Ana led us to the car where Don Filemon was waiting for us. The three of us couldn't stop laughing about the situation the whole way home as we explained to Filemon -- or Don Mon as we called him -- how we thought Dona Ana was some crazy lady trying to sell us hummus.

Shortly after, we met Carla and Felix the teenage sister and brother.

The family's house. So many memories!
The family was and is the greatest family on Earth, and i love them for all they did for me in the next couple months. But i'll never forget my first night in San Ramon.

After getting to know each other, the family decided to nickname me Jim "A Lo Loco", because my last name, Allocco, when pronounced in Italian, sounds similar to a Spanish phrase roughly meaning "Doing things in a crazy way." That's about the best translation i can think of. But any time i do anything silly for the rest of this blog, imagine the kids laughing and saying "Jeeeeem A Lo Looooooco!!!!!"

After having a great time for our first day, we called it a night and went to bed. I walked in to my room, and right away was in a panic. I ran out to the kitchen where Dona Ana was washing dishes.

My bedroom!
"Dona Ana!" i said. "Hay una aran~a muy grande en mi cama y no se' si lo es venemoso!" She had maybe a really tiny hint of surprise in her face. "Una arana?" she asked. "Si, muy muy muy grande."

She came into my room to see this spider i was talking about. It was at least a foot long (35 centimeters) including its legs. I was pretty sure it was going to eat me for a midnight snack. "Este chiquitico?" she asked, while cupping the spider in her hands and picking it up. "Chiquitico?" i asked. "Eso es ChiquiTON! Un Monstruo!"

She laughed and carried the gigantic monster outside, assuring me that no spiders in the area were venemous. The kids were laughing at me as i tried to explain to them i wasn't afraid of spiders, but that the biggest spiders in the U.

The other half of my bedroom!
S. are about a third of the size of that thing. I had only seen spiders that big at the zoo! Well, they thought it was funny anyway and never let me live it down for the rest of my stay. I got used to the giant spiders AND the giant cockroaches AND the giant mosquitos AND the ant colonies that lived near the house and would swarm inside if you left out a piece of fruit or a dirty dish or cup. You see, their walls didn't connect completely with their ceilings, so animals like this would just swarm inside.

My first night, I decided to sleep without a mosquito net since i didn't need one in San Jose. Bad idea. Little did i know we were just thirty meters away from a large shallow pond -- a breeding ground for mosquitos! i spent the first night sweating and wrapped in my sheets so the mosquitos couldn't get through. But i could hear them buzzing by my head, and they kept waking me up every 10 minutes or so. The mosquito net worked way better. By the time i left, i was even used to the squirrel that would come in the house and steal berries during the day. Haha, the house felt like a zoo sometimes. The only time the family was afraid of an animal was when there was a giant lizard in the bathroom. They weren't sure if it was poisonous or not, so we got a shovel and scooped it outside.

Town had a pretty view
The familys house. So many memori…
The family's house. So many memor…
San Ramon