Fight #1

San Jose Travel Blog

This was a jungle somewhere, i don't remember where. i'm notorious for forgetting my camera behind everywhere, so i didn't get any animal photos :(

So here it is, our second night out. Blake and i met up with some Aussies at the hostel who were really cool. We all decided to hit up the bars later that night after exploring the city for ourselves.

I hit it off with this Aussie guy named James. His personality was just like mine, so we ended up talking for a while at the bar. He had been in the country for about a month and swore that Tica girls were the most beautiful people on Earth. Then he told me how he picked up girls at the bar. His pickup line: "Hola, Do you speak English?" i said that was a terrible pickup line, but he swore by it. So he decided to show me its effectiveness. We walked up to the prettiest girl in the bar and he laid down his line: "Hola, Do you speak English?"

"No.

Patos (ducks)
No te entiendo," she said. And he smiled and walked away. "Well, it only works half the time," he told me. i couldn't help but laugh. i went up and apologized to her in Spanish (for what i thought was a sign of Anglo-Saxon ignorance and ethnocentrism to simply expect people in foreign countries to speak your language instead of you learning their's), but she laughed it off and said she was used to it and it didn't bother her. Her name was Natalia, and it turned out her English was actually better than my Spanish -- she just wasn't impressed by his pickup line! From then on, James said his new pickup would be "Do you speak English? No? Well, my friend Jim speaks Spanish, you should talk to him." Haha.

Anyway, Natalia's friend wasn't impressed by James either, so I called Blake over to talk to her while we chatted.

more of Jurassic Park.
And that's where the trouble began.

Well, as the night went on, the four of us left and went to a salsa club. Natalia and i were hitting it off pretty well, but the other two didn't seem to click very well. It was about 2 a.m. when Blake said he was done for the night. i said i was going to stay out and told him i'd meet him at the hostel. "You're too drunk," he told me. "You'd better come with me." But i insisted i was fine and wanted to stay out a few hours more. "No, we've got to be up early tomorrow," he told me. "I know you'll never wake up in time."

"Well, i don't care," i told him. "i'm having fun." So he decided to forcibly remove me from the bar, haha. i ended up pushing him off me and then he started yelling. (This is why i travel alone usually now.

Magaly and i.
) A bartender approached us, told us we were making a scene and asked us to leave. I pleaded with him, but he wasn't taking any chances. We left without getting the girls' numbers, haha. Tear! Well, i was mad because i thought Natalia was cool and wanted her number! i told Blake to go back to the hostel by himself as i sat on the curbside wondering if this entire trip would be a mistake.

Minutes later, a group of five Ticos left the bar and told me they saw the whole fight and that it wasn't my fault at all. They told me they were heading to a bar that was open until morning and asked me to go with. I jumped in their minivan and we headed out! It was amazing to see how quickly you can befriend Ticos. They're extremely trusting and social. This was a good omen. We stayed out until 6 a.m. and then they dropped me off at the hostel.

Blake was right. i didn't wake up in the morning. i've got to give that to him. i fell asleep on a couch in one of the main rooms at the hostel. i'm told Australia was playing in the World Cup that day and that the Aussies were jumping around and shouting right next to my head... but i never woke up! Needless to say, we didn't leave to meet the other volunteers until the afternoon...

This was a jungle somewhere, i don…
This was a jungle somewhere, i do…
San Jose