Quetzaltenango Travel Blog

Decided I'd finally had enough of San Pedro and headed for Xela aka Quetzaltenango.  I had to be there for a meeting at 5pm on the 18th to get organized and prepared for a trek beginning the next day.  I decided to do a hike from Nebaj to Todos Santos with Quetzal Trekers out of Xela.  They are a non-profit and donate money to a school.

I planned to go to Fuentes Georginas on Monday, but found out Monday morning I found out that is the day they are closed for cleaning.  I was going to take the tour through Adrenalina, but it wasn't going to work out for me to be back in time if I missed my free breakfast at the hostel.  Instead I went by bus on my own and it took a lot longer and cost almost the same amount.  There is accomodation up there and a small restaurant.  The pools are pretty well built up.   Ran into Naomi and Wayne as well as two French guys I'd seen the day before.  We hiked to the top of the mountain behind the pools, but it was too foggy to see anything.  Good activity, but I didn't think they were that spectacular.  This seems to be a big attraction for Guatemalans as well.

photo by: Johnb42