Dive Time

Utila Travel Blog

I ended up spending nearly two weeks in Utila at Alton´s.  I wasn´t even diving half the time I was there.  They make it hard to leave at only $3 per night if you take a course.  Oh and it´s free accommodation during the course.  I had a good time there and was pretty much the first place I partied much.  It seems there is a reason to go out every night here, some are just bigger reasons than others.  Someone is always coming or going and there are birthdays etc. - besides the fact that there are organized beach parties, full moon parties, small island parties & booze cruises.  If you´re not looking to party you don´t have to go to Roatan.  There are plenty of good dive shops out here, but each has a different feel and crowd.  I´m happy I went with Alton´s.  I met a lot of people out there and the longer you stay the harder it is to leave.  The first lie of the island is "I´m leaving tomorrow".

As for the diving, I did my rescue diver course out there and had a good time with my instructor Martin and our group of ladies.  I would have to say that the diving wasn´t that spectacular compared to some parts of the world, but I also don´t think I gave it enough dives either.  I never made it to the north side of the island or did any night dives.  Don´t get me wrong it is a great place to learn and dive, but I just wasn´t as impressed as I thought I would.

I could write a ton about restaurants and events, but it will have to wait.  Favorites were Driftwood, Dave´s, Bundu Cafe.

photo by: Yoshu