Money and Babas

Kathmandu Travel Blog

Oct.11 07

Time passed fast, we stayed in Nepal almost one week and only in Kathmandu and only around Thamel where i don't want to step on it on my first trip. Thamel is an area where you can enjoy it till late, where the largest numbers of travelers stay, where has variety of food, books, unlimited drinks, travel agencies, shops, guesthouses, hotels, (mostly budgets), restaurants (full of nepali, thai, italian food), pubs - it's like Kaosarn Road in Thailand! I don't like it much but it's the place that we can find anything we want.

Not only those, if you need something to smoke, something more stronger than cigarette, it's easy to find here also.

Tika
(Anyway I'm not the user.) But the sellers don't care you are or you are not, they will stop you in every two meters .... They always made me panic when they walked slowly to Ale and whispered with their dry voices - "Do you want something more stronger to smoke?"(Have you ever experienced the same?). Thought maybe Ale is thin, also have tattoos on this arms which maybe look like a drug user :)

Thamel at night, hardly see tourists. It's full of Nepalis and Moaists who stayed at every corners to control the tranquillity. To came back to my hotel at night was not quite safe because our hotel is almost at the end of the narrow road and no light along the way. One time I walked back alone because I forgot something. In the middle way, there had some Napali men sat in the dark, so I tried to walk fast almost run.

Pasupatinath Temple
 Another night we heard a woman scream not so far from the hotel, then the siren rang, police came. Wondered how would it be if it was me????

We haven't done anything much in Kathmandu. I can say I was lazy in this trip. (maybe too lazy) Maybe because it's my first longest holiday in my life, one month and a half without working! So it's really nice which made me really lazy.

But today we were not too lazy :) We went to Pasupatinat Temple, (the history is here http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/6978/Inside-Kathmandu-Baktapur-2 :) And I just knew now that we had to pay to get in this temple! (My first time, I went there from the back door.

Watching the burning ceremony
I haven't paid for anything and no one told me to pay) but this time the taxi stopped us at the front door, so we had to pay about 200 rupees per each!

When we’re inside, one man came to Ale and followed him but Ale was enjoy taking pictures so he changed to follow me. He introduced himself that he's a guide. "Madam, you can give me some money and i will share you about the history of this temple". I smiled and said "Thank you but I don't want a guide, i came here before." .. Thought he was gone but he still kept following me and said about money and tried to tell me about the history. I said "I’m ok. You don’t have to follow me. Maybe people in those groups might need you but I don't, thank you and sorry."  Then said "Why not? Madam, to give me 200 rupees doesn't make you poor."

Ooooh!

Me  "Why do you think that 200 rupees don't mean anything for me?  Why don't you think that I am just someone who collected her money and could spend just only 100 rupees per day???" He said "You don't look like.

The burning Ghat, Bagmati River
I know you have money. Tourists have money." And he still  asked me to pay some. (for what? He didn't tell anything yet!) So I said "Sorry but I don't like the way you do. If people say no, you should stop, it's not quite nice to do like this. Even I have money now, I think I will not pay anyway."

Am i cruel??? :(

I don't know but if I say no, please understand that I mean no. And I don't like the way he thinks “Tourists must be rich”.?? Yeah, some are but maybe some are not. I'm not rich. 200 rupees is value for me too. Anyway, I can give that amount to the children or handicap easily if I met one but for him, if he didn't speak like that, maybe I would let him tell the story about this temple and would pay him.

A little baba
Could be more. But after he asked money like that, better say no.

I walked away before he hit me in the head. Ale was far to take some pictures. Here has the burning ghats along the river. If in front of you is the temple, on the right side is the ghat for Rich Body, on the left is for Poor Body. They make it different; for Rich people, their bodies will have a big cremation according to the religions ceremony but for Poor people, their body just be burned according to the religious ceremony but easier way.

The smell of the burning flew with the wind. Instant Karma, Born-Old-Sick-Die ... reminds you the way of life. Some tourists sat along the Bagmati river to watch them. I chose to sat opposite the bodies.

Monkeys in the temple
Near me was Baba, he introduced himself that he is Monkey Baba. He's joyful. He asked me if I'd like to take his photos? I didn't say anything back just smiled. He said "20 rupees". I laughed and said "no, but if you want to take my picture, I let you do it for free". He laughed louder. He asked me "is 20 rupees too much?" I said "No but I just don't want to take your photo". He smiled. We had small talk then japanese man came to take his photo. Baba showed 2 fingers which means 20 rupees but that guy paid him 100 rupees for just one shot :) Baba said to me "You see, 20 rupees - not much?" ...  Then Ale came, he did the same to Baba and gave him the same rate, 100 rupees but he took about 100 shots. I answered him “yeah … Iiiii see” Haha ..

Pasupatinat is a Hindu Temple, opposite site is the Baba's place.

From dusk till dawn
Baba is like a monk in Thailand. Everyday some Babas visit people and pray for them exchange with the food and money. But some just stay here or at other tourist places and ask for money when people take their pictures. Each Baba is different. Some are strict but some no. Most of people talk about Baba in good and bad way but I don't feel anything whether good or bad about them. They always remind me of my Baba who I've met in Nagarkot in my first trip in Nepal. I thought he is the real Baba because he's born to give, never take.

I walked up to the top, a lot of monkey came out. It's time to eat. There has a few guy came to feed them. I don't understand why the monkey always lives in the temple? (also cats and dogs). In Thailand too, at north, too many monkeys live there and have the same habit ; steal food from people!! I held one bag with Oreo biscuit and a big bottle of water.

The guide, Baracca Baba and Ale
One monkey took my Oreo from my hand which i didn't eat such a piece of them. They were so clever and fast!! They don't choose the water but they chose Oreo!

I took Ale to drink Ducha, Nepal milk tea, at the same place that I've been before. The tea maker is Baba. Here, we met another Baba, Baracca Baba. He is funny and nice :) He is the second Baba who I've met in my life who didn't ask for money at all. He did something different - he bought us two Duchas.  :)

newtampo says:
Hehe don't worry. Glad you like them! :)
Posted on: May 07, 2008
Watching the burning
Watching the burning
Nice
Nice
Watching the burning - Bagmati Riv…
Watching the burning - Bagmati Ri…
Wonder, the stair to where?
Wonder, the stair to where?
Monkey Baba