Was like I came back home ..

Kathmandu Travel Blog

Oct. 08, 07

Finally Ale and I flew to Nepal by Indian Airlines. On the last day in Calcutta, the hotel man took us to the local market where they sell "silk clothes". We don't wanna go because I needed to pack my stuff but he told the tuk tuk driver to drive and tried to (force) make us buy them. (He might has a commission from those shops!)  But their silk was not different from what I can find in my country and there was more expensive so we didn't buy any. But that's not only the reason. There is like a home factory. Those clothes were made by Kids!

I was disappointed, most of places in Asia has the same way to make product; child workers. I tried to understand the way they live life.

Varanasi Airport
It's same like some hidden part of my country and other countries that children living in the poorest households and in rural areas are most likely appear to be engaged in child labour. Some of them were hurt if they can't work. But here was not like that, i don't know, as I passed one shop, the kid was weaving silk cloth, Ale took the picture to keep it as an evidence but i saw the kid smiled.

Now it's time to leave India, hoped just for a while. The plane took us to Nepal safely ... But when we landed in Nepal, taxi drivers ran to us since we were still inside the airport. And as I noticed, they ran to only us. I asked Ale why they tried to talk to only you and me? Do we look like innocent people? I love Nepal but not that moment. Same as the first time when I went there alone.

Kathmandu
I was upset which I don't know why???

Maybe .. I just needed to smoke :D

So we went outside to smoke first and would go back to talk to them later. But they don't stop, followed us and stood around. We were two people among twenty Nepali taxi drivers. They still tried to convinced us that they will take us to the best and cheap hotels. We were tired because we just left India, took bus, cab then plane to come here. All I needed was just one minute to breathe the toxic into my lung but they don't give us the time. I was upset, really, but it seemed they don't care. (or maybe they don't want us to smoke ... just maybe)

I lit my cigarette. We're surrounded with taxi drivers who kept asking us to go. I counted 1-2-3 .

:) Tired.
..  15 seconds, nah they don't stop. 30 seconds, ahhh they're still speaking. 45 seconds, they're continue ...

Ok, they don't know who they were talking to ... they were caming into the fire!! Haha. Imagine, a person who didn't smoke since the morning and just needed to be chill by one cigarette but couldn't do it well because they don't let us free. It was like I had the bees in my ears so i shouted.  "Can you leave us alone for just one minute? I just need to smoke!!!" ..

(note : smoking can kill you!) :)

Wow ... they stepped back immediately, were panic by this crazy woman! Ale too. Hahahha...  but it worked! And they gave me 1 minute indeed! After i throwed my cigarette in the garbage, those bees came back again. Ok ok I gave up!

After negotiated a little bit then most of them walked away because they knew they wouldn't get a good deal from us.

Grill Buff! Yummm! :)
 Just only one driver left but we got inside to ask people at the information booth. We wanted to see some brochures of Nepal's hotels. There were two officers who don't let us see any brochures at first but tried to convince us to go to other hotels as the taxi drivers did. They gave us a chance to choose between two hotels they recommended but we insisted to see some brochures. Finally they gave us. We like a few of them so we asked them if they can call from our mobile phones because we don't know the country code, they said "i'm gonna call for you with my phone". Why!? (I knew later that they don't want us to know how to contact those hotels by ourselves). Ok, they made calls to those and told us that they ... were full. Ehhh??  And they kept trying recommend their places (that they got some commissions) again.
Taxi
I turned around and saw the same driver who never give up still look at me and Ale. He spoke something to us through the window glass ... I looked at Ale, he looked at me. Ok we will go with him.

We paid quite cheap with this taxi driver, 100 Rupees, to take us to any hotel we want. He recommended one hotel, it's in Thamel, but we don't agree to stay in Thamel. He told us the truth that he got a commission with that hotel but it is a good one anyway but Ale wanted to check out the hotels he saw in the brochures. At least one of them, to check if it's really full. So they sent us at Mustang Hotel.

Mustang Hotel is quite nice and ahh .. it's not fully booked.

Mustang Hotel
The airport officers lied to us because they wanted us to go to their hotels. Lucky that we came to check by ourselves. It's quite private and not expensive. Just  400 rupees per night with double bed. We liked it and decided to stay there.

First day in Nepal now. In the taxi, with the first quiet moment we've got since we stepped here. We looked outside while the taxi's moving. I was thinking "If Ale likes it?" ... As he can read my mind, he turned to me and said "I like it, i can stay here more than one week" ..

Ah ha, great! Because i wanted to!

newtampo says:
even in Thailand, yes, and not just only tuk tuk :) for the rest .. hehehe :D
Posted on: Jun 28, 2009
liquidsword says:
i was even in worst senario, two-three people where taking my stuff either direction, i had no idea who to follow, seriously. i got out of patience and yelled top of my voice and obviously swear as well...hehehe...i can understand how you might have felt...its same baby everywhere in under developed countries...right....even in thailand you can find tuk tuk scammer...lol....and lastly hay you seems to take a fag when someone tries to taste your nevers...hehehe....cheers..
Posted on: Jun 25, 2009
newtampo says:
Good to hear that hahahaha
Posted on: May 07, 2008
Chicken sausage
Chicken sausage
Kathmandu Guesthouse
Kathmandu Guesthouse
Our first dinner at Mustang Hotel …
Our first dinner at Mustang Hotel…
Nepal Ice!