SeaWorld

San Diego Travel Blog

Strawberry anemones

OK...this is the last addition to my travel trilogy. Sad, I know...means I gotta go back to work soon!

Woke up later than expected to make our way back to the 14 bus to get to the Oldtown Trolley Station and pick up the 9 route to SeaWorld. (The busses here in San Diego are fantastic for getting around, for public transportation)

We arrived at SeaWorld in Mission Valley and immediately checked out one of the gift shops on the way in. Seeing all the stuff I wanted to buy, we decided to set out into the park to take pictures and look around before saddling ourselves with oodles of gifts all day.

Big-eyed fish
We took some pictures through the underwater viewing of the two killer whales swimming together.

Moving on, we photographed some dolphins and otters before going on the SkyTower where we took some wide-angle and panoramic views. Then we went to the pool to see and touch the stingrays. That was AWESOME! Soft, velvety and slimy. lol Then we stopped by the aquarium with numerous eels and Garibaldi.

We made our way across more of the park, heading towards the sea turtles and tidepool exhibit to feel the starfish and purple anemones. The next aquarium, like the rest of them for the remainder of the day, were difficult to get even decent pictures in such low lighting when trying to compensate for the glass and the light from the aquarium exhibits as well as the movement.

Shamu's show was definitely on the list, so we hurried to get a good seat for the show.

Flamingos at SeaWorld
The whales they brought out for the preshow was awesome, and we both got soaked! Definitely worth it though! Then we finished the nearest aquarium that we started, saw some moon jellyfish, stonefish, clown fish, blue tang, anemones, lionfish, as well as several others.

Shipwreck Rapids got us even more soaked than we already were. After that, it was off to Shipwreck Cafe for some grub. Had the Smoked Chicken and Island Jambalya with some chocolate-cherry cake.

Afterwards, it was off to the Shark Encounters exhibit! Probably one of my most favorite of the exhibits at SeaWorld, but the lighting wasn't very good for taking pictures on my camera.

We took the SkyRide gondola across Mission Bay and back afterwards and spent beau coup bucks at the Shark Shop on a new shirt and a little shark figurine, then to Currents Gifts where I bought a couple IMAX DVDs, a NICE jacket (and very well priced!) and a shark towel.

Flounder

Before we left, we went through the Arctic part of the park then stopped by Journey to Atlantis. We just couldn't pass up that opportunity. It was a pretty fun ride...got to stay a little more dry than the other 2 or 3 attractions from the huge bag full of souviners in my lap. lol

We were thinking about Chilis for dinner, but the bus came around a little late for that option, so we went to Hunter's Steakhouse down the street from the hotel. It struck me as kind of a Olive Garden meets Black Angus. Definitely some good food. Nicole got the BBQ ribs and I ordered the Black & Blue Ripeye. DELICIOUS!!! The steak's rubbed in Cajun spices, grilled and topped with bleu cheese and served with mashed red potatoes and wild rice pilaf and a piece of Bailey's Irish Creme mousse cake. GOOD!!!

Killer whale