Uluwatu Day Trip

Uluwatu Travel Blog

After relaxing for a couple of days in Legian, we decided to take a day trip to Uluwatu in Southern Bali.  A 45 minute cab ride took us to one of the oldest temples in Bali, Pura Uluwatu.  Our driver also promised great surfing, but the wind wasn't cooperating.  Although disappointed, we were more than happy to explore the majestic beaches.  When I left Ireland, I was sure I had seen the best cliffs to ever battle an ocean.  I might have been wrong.  These cliffs must have reached two to three hundred feet.  Flip flops were the wrong choice.

I could have easily spent the day meandering along the coast.
  My pictures (as usual) just couldn't capture the true beauty of the place.  After only a taste of the beaches, we headed to Pura Uluwatu.  The big draw here was the monkeys.  Our driver warned us over and over about the aggressive monkeys.  We were repeatedly briefed to take off all jewelry (um....we're guys - no worries there), sunglasses, watches, gold fillings, everything must go...

Glad he told us.  I don't know if I had more fun feeding the monkeys or watching them tear off with different trophies from numerous tourists.  One guy actually got his wallet stolen...seriously.  We're talking laughing so hard tears appear while you watch the monkeys play with the silly humans.  It seemed most of the victims were Japanese tourists who must not have had the proper heads up - probably due to the language barrier.  We stopped counting after three pairs of sunglasses, the aforementioned wallet, four flowers/buttons from dresses, and two bracelets which were later traded for bags of peanuts.  Of course me and my buddy got three bags of peanuts lifted from us during the first 20 feet of the entrance...these cute little guys were trained in Brooklyn.  They would slowly go for a single peanut or banana and then dart with the other hand for any valuable they deemed necessary for payment for invading their temple.
Sunflower300 says:
You write a fantastic blog. Thank you so much for the entertainment. :)
I'm looking forward to reading more about your travels.
Posted on: Feb 25, 2008