Osaka Castle and the walk back

Osaka Travel Blog

While taking the train back to Osaka Station from Horyuji, I read through some of what I had printed out on Osaka and saw a couple mentions of Osaka Castle so decided to stop by and see what it was.  What it is, is pretty magnificent!  The castle sits on top of a moat surrounded hill in the east of Osaka.  Eight stories tall with white sides and black and green roofs with gold trimming…spectacular from a distance, and nicer still up close!

I arrived just in time, around 30 minutes before they closed, just before they closed the gates for new entrants.  The views from the 8th floor observation deck are quite a sight to behold, with the entire city spread out before you.

Very interesting exhibits on the Osaka Summer war in the early 1600’s on the lower floors.  Definitely worth a visit.

After leaving the castle, I decided to walk back to my hotel at Osaka station as the day was nice and it was still daylight.  I would suggest to everyone a walk over the Neyagawa river on the Kyobashi Bridge for the most incredible views of the Osaka Business Park with the beautiful Crystal Tower.  From here you can cross the walk over the Okawa River on the Kawasaki-bashi Bridge and then along Nakanoshima Park on the river.

For dinner, my goal was to find something nearby to the Pig and Whistle as I wanted to stop in and see how it was based on the TB review.  From the Shinsaibashi station, I didn’t know where to go at first, but eventually just walked down Mido-suji and as I passed a building with two police in front and a Korean Air-looking logo on the corner, I remembered what I read in the review, saw the bus with the lights on top, and across the street, there it was.  I didn’t want to eat at the pub, so once I knew where I wanted to go afterwards, I went down the road next to it and settled on a place called Makotoya where I sat at the counter and had a bowl of noodles in a spicy yet sweet broth.  Not sure what it is called…don’t think the traditional Osaka Udon as the noodles weren’t really fat and there weren’t the big pieces of tofu, but it was excellent!  I then stopped up at the Pig and Whistle but didn’t stay long…was short on cash and they don’t accept cards, and I’d been having trouble finding an ATM machine I can use in Osaka (unlike Tokyo, most Osaka ATM’s only allow local cards).

photo by: yasuyo