Mozart and Maria

Salzburg Travel Blog

Decided to finish up my bored weekend with a visit to Salzburg, home of Mozart and the von Trapp family.

And that's all you'll hear about that! (well, Mozart did make a few more appearances!)

Drove direct to my hotel (Hotel Wolf Dietrich), dropped off my stuff, parked the car, and dove right into an afternoon of sightseeing.  Really had no idea where to go or what to see here in town, but saw an interesting arch and next thing I knew, I had climbed up the Kapuzinerberg and was enjoying a magnificent view of the Altstadt across the Salzach from the view at the Kapuzinerkirche!  Well...now I know what there is to see!

Walked down off the berg and crossed the Salzach and through the Altstadt to the multitude of historic buildings in the area, the Residenz, Dom, Franzikanerkirche, and of course, a totally scaffolded and covered Risidenzbrunnen (Fountain between Residenz, Glockenspeil, and Dom).  Oh well!  From here, up to Salzburg Fortress for a tour and magnificent view.  I usually don;t care for the tours, and this one was cheesier than usual with no speaking guide, just an escort while the audioguide did it's speil...but this is the only way to get the best view of the area from the top of the fortress, so it's worth it (and free with your admission to the fortress).

Finished up in the fortress and rode the furnicular back down to the Altstadt, into the university square where I grabbed a beer outside at Mozart's birthplace before heading back to my hotel for a few minutes for a coffee then back to the Altstadt for the Glockenspeil (disappointing) and then dinner back near the hotel.

Drinks at numerous pubs around town, mostly on Rudolfskai, before calling it a night.  Had I realized the Augistiner bierhall was so close, I probably would have made the walk there...but probably best that I didn't.

For the second morning in a row, up early and in time for another beautiful sunrise from the Makartsteg bridge and Schloss Maribell, then back to the hotel to clean up and head back to Eindhoven.  8 hours later I was back in Eindhoven, in the pub for Sunday football with some great memories!

Salzburg