Farewell tour - Stop #1 - Singapore

Singapore Travel Blog

I have started a new position within my company since December, but my replacement doesn't start until July, so I have to finalize our first half activities still before I can phase out.  This gives me the opportunity for one final Asia tour for Sarbanes-Oxley purposes before I switch over to my new job...which will likely mean much less work travel (but more opportunities for personal travel!)

Arrived in Singapore on the afternoon of May 10 after a 12 hour flight from Amsterdam.  This is my first time flying from Europe to Singapore, both previous visits have been "short" flights from Tokyo to Singapore.  KLM flies their 777 to Singapore as opposed to the 747's they use for most of the other Asia routes...and I must say, the 777 is MUCH better for such a long journey.

The seats are more comfortable, and the personal video screens make a HUGE difference.  I wish all my flights could be on 777 vs. 747 now!

Arrived and breezed through customs, baggage, and right into a taxi to the hotel.  Also new for me this time was arriving during the day, the Tokyo flights usually bring me into the hotel around 2AM, today I was checked in by 5PM.  Much more relaxed this way.  Cleaned up and called a colleague on assignment here and we arranged to meet for dinner at 7:30, so did a little wander / repeat picture taking before then.

Dinner the first night at Jang Shou Korean Charcoal BBQ at the Esplanade mall (I know...I'm going to Korea on Wednesday, but my colleague is from Korea and really wanted some Korean food, and Korean BBQ isn't really suitable for solo diners.)  From there a walk to the Merlion and along the Boat Quay before she headed home around midnight and I wound up, as usual, at Chijmes (Insomnia) until way too late.  They have some great live music there, though you definitely have to cut back on drinks with the prices S$13 for a bottle of beer!  I wanted to try St. James Power Station, but didn't feel like taking a taxi down at midnight already...next time!

Singapore