Bored...what to do...

Schwangau Travel Blog

After two weeks of meet-ups, and with Taiwan looming on the horizon, I found myself unable to just sit in Eindhoven...or even go to work today!

As I was walking out the door for work, I turned around, checked my emails from home, and quickly decided that today had one real purpose...Road Trip!!!

I weighed my options, and based on the decent weather in store for this weekend, and flight options for future travels if necessary, I decided to postpone Vienna and hit the Alpine wonderlands and visit Neuschwanstein, Innsbruck and perhaps Salzburg.

I started driving at 8:30 and was hellbent on reaching Schwangau by 3PM, the time that the ticket window for Neuschwanstein would close for the day.  Plugged the address into my GPS, and saw an estimated arrival time of 3:15!  No problem!!!  I'll be driving in Germany!

Well, when it took me two and a half hours to reach Koblenz, I started to get a little nervous...I wasn't making any time!  And worst of all, there was a major traffic jam it appeared between Karlsrhue and Stuttgart!  Well...GPS be damned!  I will not be beaten by traffic, so I ignored the voice and went off on my own on a different route...and lo and behold, I arrived at the ticket desk at 2:55PM!  Victory!!!  And I don't think I got flashed even once...which was good considering how long I was going at 200+ Kmph!

I managed to get a ticket o the last tour of the day (!!!) and had time to walk up and visit the Marienbrucke before my 4:50 tour.  As I had heard, the tour itself isn't all that spectacular, but it was better than I expected!  To be honest, I would have been just as happy to get there five minutes later, not get the tour ticket, but still get the view from the bridge...that's the true beauty of Neuschwanstein...wven though I was cursed with my consistent scaffolding curse!

Finished up my tour and then decided to make the most of my remaining daylight and drive through the pass into Austria for an evening in Innsbruck!

metsbwd says:
Alas...yes. Will post the photos soon...but lots of scaffolding to mar an otherwise perfect day for photos :-(
Posted on: Feb 21, 2009
Frostbourne says:
Was the scaffolding still there? I was there on my trip through europe, and wanted a photo of the castle from the bridge. Damn scaffolding on the Castle ruined the perfect photo.
Posted on: Feb 20, 2009