Blues Traveller, Couch Surfing and Frank Pepe

Fairfield Travel Blog

Fairfield Town Hall

Drove back up to Connecticut from Huntingdon Valley, PA, with a stop in Astoria, Queens to drop off my younger sister at her place.  I hit the city at one of the worst possible times for heading to Connecticut...weekday evening, start of rush hour, and a Yankee game just ended!  Well, I could have left immediately and got to CT around 7...or I could sit around for an hour or two and still get there around 7...so I decided to get there at 7...with a delay in Queens for some coffee.  We stopped at Caffeine (spelled in Greek) just under the Triboro bridge, a new place near my sister's apartment, for one of the frappe's my sister was gushing over the entire day.  It was very good...

Finally got on the road and aside from the heavy merge at the Bruckner interchange had a mostly uneventful ride to Connecticut.

Fairfield War Memorial

It was my friend Dan's birthday, and he was starting the celebration in Stamford at the Live at 5 concert series event in Stamford.  Blues Traveller was the band that day...not bad!!!  Made it through the TERRIBLE traffic in downtown Stamford to a parking spot and then made it over to the park where the band was playing.  MOBBED!  Took almost half an hour to find Dan and co. but we managed to get together for a couple hours of celebrating (responsibly!) before heading back to Fairfield. Left just in time too...the parking garage had already closed the main entrance...I was able to get in through the car exit and get to my car and out of the lot before they shut it down.

Phew!

Arrived in Fairfield and went to our old hangout to wait for Dan and his girlfriend to arrive for the local party.  Turns out that she wasn;t feeling too well any longer (she wasn't driving) so they were gonna wait until Friday for the big party.  I had an offer to crash at their place for the night and wound up doing so...kinda funny since I also crashed at "the barn" on my last night in the US before moving to the Netherlands...

The next morning I took it easy.  Most people had to work, but not me :-)  I managed to check in on my storage unit and pull out some stuff I wanted to bring back to the Netherlands and then hung out in Borders for a while surfing the web (read: Travbuddy) until meeting the gang from work for lunch.

Lunch...Heaven!  Pizza at Frank Pepe's!  To me, without a doubt, the best pizza in the world!  We only went to the Fairfield location as my friends had to be back in Wilton to work the afternoon and New Haven is another 30 minutes away, but it's still great!  I'll put up a review...but for real...it's perfect (if you like thin crust pizza that is, of course).

Said my good byes then headed over to find a place to stay that night.  Could stay at the barn again, but I have to admit, I prefer hotel rooms, and got one at the Fairfield Motor Inn at the big traffic circle for the night.  Settled in and repacked my bags then took a short nap before heading out to watch the foootball match at the Field, a bar/restaurant in Black Rock managed by one of my neighbors where I know football has a decent following.  What an ending to the match!  Unfortunately, it went a little later than I had expected, and rather than heading back to the hotel to get ready for the evening (read: another nap) I had a call to meet some friends at a nearby pub.  Wound up there WAY later than expected and had no time to head home before going to my friend George's going away party (moving to Colorado the next day).  Well, had a little more time than I thought, as he showed up at Ray Kelley's first before the party at Captain's Cove.  Wound up at the Cove, said my goodbyes and met up with a lot of friends I hadn't seen in nine months before heading back to the hotel to get some sleep before heading home tomorow.

poohstanggt says:
Should've hopped over for the KC meet up that weekend! James and Mark hosted quite a shindig!
Posted on: Feb 16, 2009