Back to the US - Fantasy Draft

New City Travel Blog

Woke up early, took the train to Schipol, and flew into Newark.  Good thing it was Newark and not JFK, as the US Open was in full swing which always leads to disastrous traffic on the Van Wyck…the main road from JFK to Connecticut and Upstate New York.  Stopped at Avis to pick up my rental car.  As usual, my company had me safely booked into a compact.  It seems, though, that in today’s economic woes, compact cars are in very high demand, so Avis decided to help me out by asking if a Ford Mustang was acceptable?  Um…well…ok!  It’s nice not to have to pay for your own petrol!

Anyway, got in the car and headed up to New City, New York where my fantasy football draft would be held that evening.  Ran a few errands (bank, etc.) and then showed up at my friend’s house to wait to head over to the draft.  Chilled, had a few beers, and then it was time to go.

Last year we held the draft at the Fox Sports Grill at the Palisades Center Mall.  Unfortunately, they did not survive the year, so this year we moved across the hallway to the Buffalo Wild Wings.  They gave a great draft package (space, draft kit, and $100 free food…we just had to pay for drinks and food in excess of the limit) and really took care of us - aside from the spilled tray of eight beers that destroyed a couple peoples’ cheat sheets, etc.

The draft lasted a few hours, then off to D&D’s in New City for the annual post-draft drink where we closed the place down at 4AM EST.  Not bad considering the 5AM CET Wake-up.  Back to my friend’s to crash on the couch before heading down to PA to see my parents and sibs.

New City