Arizona Travels

Tempe Travel Blog

Thursday September 4

Worked in the morning, but made sure to leave the office as soon as I could to watch the second half of the first NFL game of the 2008-2009 season.  My colleague Marcel joined me at the Tilted Kilt for some football, beer and apps.  After the game, ran back to the hotel to change then jumped over to Rock Bottom where I met Adrian, ACowboy, for a beer before calling it a night.

Friday September 5

Worked (as usual) then met a former colleague who is trying to get me to join her company for dinner at Rock Bottom.  Had a nice dinner, but decided I guess I’ll still stay on my expat assignment for now.  A few too many horror stories for my liking…perhaps at some time when I decide to return to the US I may change my mind, but not yet.

Was going to meet Adrian for some beers at The Vine in Tempe…unfortunately, it seems “some time after 9” meant more like 10:30 than 9, and I had left around the same time he arrived…oh well…meet-up tomorrow!  I still enjoyed some VERY cheap beers (a liter of good beer for $3!!!) and a couple other free drinks before calling it a night.

Saturday September 6

Started off the day with a nice long drive through the Phoenix area, heading west from Tempe to Avondale and then back.

Got in touch with Adrian and we decided to try Los Dos Molinos for some lunch.  See the review that will follow.

After lunch, we drove up to the lookouts on top of South Mountain and then split up to prepare for the meet-up that evening.

The meetup:

Sunday September 7

Started the morning with the intention of driving up towards Payson and Strawberry, but quickly remembered it was the first Sunday of football season, so back to the Tilted Kilt in time for opening kickoffs.  Watched the first games at the kilt then joined Robyn and her sons (Adrian never showed up) for lunch at the Rainforest Café and then a movie at Arizona Mills; Death Race…perhaps not the best choice of movie, but I kinda liked it!  After the movie, I went and checked into my hotel for the next two nights, courtesy of Adrian…Thanks bud!

freespirit3 says:
LOL! Glad you had a great time in Phx. Anytime.
Posted on: Sep 18, 2008
freespirit3 says:
Death Race- a perfect choice. After all who isn't up for a little blood, guts, decapitation, and impalement on a Sunday afternoon right? BTW- the kids still think you are the coolest for choosing that one. Next time- Disney!
Posted on: Sep 18, 2008