3/18/08 - 3/21/08 Ski Trip 2008

Gerlos Travel Blog

For the second year in a row, I joined a group from work to go skiing in Gerlos, Austria.  15 of us in total this year, four cars.  We left Eindhoven around 12:30 and arrived in Gerlos around 9:30 PM with stops for dinner, gas, etc.  Also one big traffic jam en route just before Stuttgart as a car was on fire and the first fire trucks sent were stuck behind the traffic!  I guess they finally sent another unit from in front and we eventually got moving again.

Same as last year, we stayed at the Hotel Mitterhof...I think the organizers pick this place as much for the proximity to the bars as anything else.  We arrived, checked in and then met in the hotel for the first beer of the week, I was appointed treasurer and we headed off for Cin Cin next door.

Apparently they close earlier this year (10 PM every night) so we headed to location #2...Little London before calling it a night to prepare for skiing the next morning.

As this is only my second time ever skiing, I opted-along with two others-for lessons.  Unfortunately, due to a kids event on the hill, these were limited, but we lucked out and managed to snag a lesson for the morning.  It was busier than usual due to the event, but I must say I did better this year than last year.  Decided to go for lessons again the second day, and on the third day, I did my first official trail!  Next year, beware (I'll be sure to bring my International SOS card!)

I'm not much of a sleeper, so managed a couple of nice early morning walks which is where most of the sleepy town pictures come from.  The camera cannot due justics to the beauty of the early morning sun on the mountains.

Gerlos