An afternoon in Howth

Howth Travel Blog

Joanna & me on the train

Remember the two Polish ladies from the smelly feet night?  Today they were going to Howth (rhymes with both), and were kind enough to allow me to join them.  In fact, they have names (Joanna and Magda).  Howth was a small fishing village on the sea, and has become fairly affluent lately as for Dubliners and visitors to Dublin it’s just a short trip away… the closest & easiest place to see some cliffs  (granted, they aren’t as dynamic as the Cliffs of Moher - but if you’re on a short trip to Ireland and don’t have the time to travel around, Howth is a good option).  We took a commuter train there, fairly short ride 20-30 minutes, and less than €4 round trip.  We had a good time walking along the cliffs and looking at the sea.  Our walk lasted about an hour / hour and a half, and on the way back into Howth proper we stopped at a very epitomical small-town Irish pub for a Guinness (turned out to be my last one in Ireland! - I switched to Smithwicks after).  I think next time I’m in Ireland I’ll try to spend more time in smaller villages, I loved the atmosphere!  Then we got some Fish ‘n Chips, and ate them in a park looking out to the sea.  We assumed (correctly I might add) that the chip shop was a good place because the line was out the door.

The boat has a leak!