Day 1

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Schiphol Airport Amsterdam

Well what a start to my dream trip.

After a 2 hr delay in that great aiport they call Heathrow... O and my backpack still sitting on the tarmack in london, i have finally arrived in Amsterdam.

I walked out from Centraal Station and "Whoa" it hit me.... Im here, a 14 year dream came true finally and i was in the  Netherlands. After i worked out how to cross the road without being run over by Trams, bikes or people. I got to the canal. My mind was numb and for the first time I was speechless.

So my first thing was to find my hostel. After asking a very nice police officer for directions i headed to Damrak straat and looked for the Grasshopper (coffeeshop) hehe dont get the wrong idea.

Centraal Station & Canal boats
..... its what the police told me to turn left at, then it was a right at the Buda coffeeshop. I be honest there are everywhere.

After i made my way to the "White Tulip Hostel" which i dont recommend staying at. I checked in and headed out after locking up all i had to my name (untill they find my backpack) in the lockers in my 10 bed dorm.... 5 euro deposit the best thing i could pay for.

First stop was to phone the folks tell them im safe and ive arrived.

I wanted to see everything due to only having two days before my mates arrived and the partying began, so i grabbed a map and worked out where i was. When i looked at the map all that i thought was i will just walk and see where i end up.....

Waking around Amsterdam i believe was the best thing i could have done. I found the major attractions so easy to find without the confusion of the map. Side streets after side streets, canals after canals. Everytime i thought i was lost i some how found a building or shop i had seen before and was able to find my way back.

As you can see in the photos Amsterdam is an amazing city, busting with history, culture and great food. And this is just my first day.

homeres says:
I will be following in your footsteps next month to Amsterdam, I felt the same feeling when i step out the Centraal Station last April when i made my first trip to the A-Dam!!! Be sure to see Anne Frank Huis, it is worth the wait!
Posted on: Feb 22, 2008
Madame Tussaud wax museum
Madame Tussaud wax museum
Rambrandts House
Rambrandt's House
Amazing food in one of many stands…
Amazing food in one of many stand…
Heineken Bier wagon