Living the Dream, hoping it will grow in the desert

Tikrit Travel Blog

The very 1st Martin Luther King Jr RUCK MARCH!! It was a cold morning in Iraq

My unit started off with the year sponsoring a 'I have a Dream' 5K ruck March in memory of MLK Jr. day. It was a cold morning but when we started it was at the break of sunrise. It wasn't a race but there was competitiveness going on with the other units particpating.

As we walked some of us carried painted rocks, written on them were short verses from the "I Have a Dream" speech made by Dr. King so long ago on the Washington Mall. These were no small rocks but they had some weight that after a while it was a burden, so we would walk and pass the rock to others....sharing the dream with others.

There a few incidents that involved me of course, between me and my friend we 'dropped' the dream, she didnt want to accept it and while i handed to her it was dropped. and then 10 minutes later i slipped on a small rocked and fell backward like a turtle!!! i was carryign a 50 pound weight on my back!!! how embarassing!!!!!

it was a success, the march, because of the Civil Rights movement i dont know if i would be here today doing what i do, and sure as hell wouldnt be ruck marching in Iraq...for Operation Iraqi Freedom

Jeredk says:
That's pretty a pretty cool idea with the rocks. I've done plenty of rucks (we called them humps in the Marines.) Never one for a celebration, but I see the significance, way cool, something I'd be in to doing.
Posted on: May 12, 2008
The very 1st Martin Luther King Jr…
The very 1st Martin Luther King J…
photo by: homeres