A 'FOB-bit's' Tale

Iraq Travel Blog

..across the way

Living on a army camp is not as bad as it may have been 30+ years ago. I am just generalizing open facts. Communication in this area is widespread, a soldier if he or she wanted could make a phone call back home in a matter of seconds; a change over the years when it would take weeks or months to hear from a beloved deployed family member. As you jump from camp to camp around the country you can tell who has it made, depending on which service branch is in command...

Some camps have swimming pools, I know cuz i took a dip in once!

Like back home on most military bases you know there's at least a Burger King, there is over here too!! At the camp im stationed at now there are 3 Subways! So there are fast food restaurants in Iraq, you have to go on the base first.

yup on a range here in OIF
Give this place time, hell there may even be a Walmart...

Car Wash...there's always an emphasis on conversing water, but you can get yelled at for having a dirty vehicle, part of vehicle mantienance we have to wash all our vehicles ( even if you know it will get dusty in the next 30 minutes after you wash it)

In most settings on camps there are organized fun-runs, like 5K, Army 10-miler, etc. I have a hard time explaining this to people back home, i always recieve a look like 'and what war are you fighting???'

Well I have a answer, its called..Soldier Welfare. I can't defend it nor say it's concrete, not every one working, serving gets to go outside the wire everyday but guarantee everyone here experiances stress. This is a stressful place, there are not a lot of people that walk around with a smile on their faces, nor can you say that about the Iraqi people. These Morale, Welfare, Recreation programs that are here, are jus so you can get your mind off the down-trodden days. And as for the soldiers that go outside the wire, they deserve any MWR event while here.

I'm a Fob-bit, not proud to be one this trip but I've been on the road, thats more than enough for me.