A little bit of Ljubljana!

Indianapolis Travel Blog

We had seen advertisements for a Slovenian festival ever since we moved to Indianapolis but had always been busy.  It occurs annually on the Sunday before Labor Day.   It looked as if we would miss it once again to visit friends in Phoenix, but my friend was very ill so we had to cancel that trip.

Let's go see what this festival is about.

It takes place west of the city at the Slovenian National Home.  I did not realize that there were so many Slovenians here but I guess that is why one of the Sister Cities of Indianapolis is Piran, Slovenia.

I imagined it being very small and not crowded at all.   Boy was I wrong!  It was very difficult to find parking because there were so many cars.

We paid the $5 each entry fee and went on in.  Children are free to enter.  The first thing I noticed was traditional music playing.  Second, nearly everyone had a beer from the beer garden.  Lastly, was the smell of all the food cooking.

We purchased some food tickets and went and got something to eat.  Had a sausage and a Lasko beer.  We also had some potica and krofi for dessert.  The krofi was awesome!  It is a type of donut thingy.  I enjoyed my first Lasko as well and look forward to having one at the source someday.

After the meal, we pretty much just strolled around the grounds and took in all the entertainment.   The event goes on from the late morning until 11pm but we just stayed about 4 hours.   They had lots of games with prizes for kids, which our daughter played in.   People were very welcoming and surprised that we were not Slovenian ourselves.

It was fun event that I would return to.   Check it out if you are here around Labor Day!

vulindlela says:
Next year...
Posted on: Sep 18, 2011
abhmalat says:
Aw shoot, I missed it!
Posted on: Sep 17, 2011
montecarlostar says:
Nice! It reminds me of a celtic festival I attented in Louisiana once. Nice to see bit of foreign cultures where one lives.
Posted on: Sep 10, 2011