Movies and Art in the Hague

The Hague Travel Blog

roller coaster through trees
After I had breakfast i decided to go to another theme park called Duinrell, the main reason I wanted to go here was for the ride Splash. My first impressions were not very good, the layout of the park seems poor compared to de Efteling and there were massive queues for everything which i didn't have at de Efteling. I went on a Roller coaster and a couple of other rides and then discovered that the main reason for coming was broken. I was disappointed and getting frustrated at the queues, so i left the park after only 2 hours and drove the the Scheveningen Pier about 15 minutes away.

It is a very nice wide beach and has a massive pier into the sea, it was too cold and windy for a swim (i live in Perth, Australia where its nearly 40 degrees Celsius every day in summer), but i went up to my knees in the water.
wide beach :)

After nearly an hour on the beach, I drove back to Den Haag. Here i went to the Gemeente Museum of Art, I couldn't bring my camera with me but it had a really good collection of period pieces. Next door to this museum is a massive Omni theatre and I watched a movie about dolphins. The credits at the start listed Pierce Brosnan as the voice over, but it ended up being a woman and she only spoke dutch. They must just use the same film worldwide and then just dub over the voices. The movie went for about 45 minutes and was very good, i enjoyed this one much more than the one I saw in Germany. I got some lunch next door after the film and headed off to find something else.

Another short drive and I reached the street where the Panorama painting is located, near the painting was a museum called communication and I had a look in there first.
memorial statue
The museum was really weird and not one i would recommend. So anyway the Panorama painting is very cool, you climb up stairs and enter the middle of a dome. On the wall of the dome 360 degrees around the center is a massive painting of the beach and houses and so forth. The reason the painting is so special is that you are on a raised platform and then all the way to the bottom is sand (real sand) and many objects like anchors and nets in the sand. This mix of real objects and then the scenery painting make the whole thing look real, and they have beach sounds playing in the background which helps too. It is like at Omni where you feel like you are part of the film because it moves all around you, it must be the way our eyes work.

after seeing the painting i just went for a cruise around and just relaxed around Den Haag.
a bit windy at the beach