Day at De Efteling :)

Kaatsheuvel Travel Blog

sitting on the atm
Today was one of the best days I have had in a long time as Suzie and I spent 9 hours at a theme park (Netherlands most famous) that we had gone to as kids called De Efteling. We had picked a good day to go as there were no lines at any of the attractions because it had been raining for days and there was more forecast for this day.

The first place we went to was called "Panda Vision", an amazing place where you can experience all the best parts of nature (its definitely for kiddies but it was still nice to see). It had massive underwater areas, jungle area complete with an orang-utang, cold region with polar bears and an igloo and an African arid area with a lions den. All these areas were interactive and go into great detail.

now it was time to get wet! We went on a ride called the Piranha where you sit in a big ring and float gently down the river.
Fata Morgana (love this photo)
That is until you reach the rapids and the fun really starts, it ended up being like bumper cars except we were hitting walls not other boats. It was a really fun trip and getting soaking wet was just luck of the draw as Suzie got hit by a massive wave and got completely soaked while I remained dry apart from the bottom part of my legs. My favourite moment was when the boat in front of us got soaking wet and a lady started laughing at them. Then our boat went under a waterfall and it only hit her seat! I couldn't stop laughing at her because she wasn't too impressed about getting wet.

Next came of of the newer more relaxing rides through the Fata Morgana, a beautiful Arabian building that had a boat ride through it. There wasn't a rush like the rapids but it was very nice looking at all the different Arabian scenes.
Suzie's dream house :P
We also went on the Pagoda, which is a massive revolving platform that goes up very high so you can see the entire park from above.

We next went to Suzie's favourite area from when she was 9 and today, it is called Sprookjesbos and is an area of de Efteling where all the fairy tales (real fairy tales and not that Disney rubbish) are. I remembered many of these fairy tales and cool scenes from when i was young. Suzie especially loved all the mushrooms and mushroom houses. I think we spent a couple of hours checking out every part of Sprookjesbos and I loved looking at it all.

After some lunch at the underwater themed restaurant called the Octopus we went on some more rides. One of the most beautiful rides is the Droomvlucht (dream flight) and is an amazing trip through a dreamland.
inside Villa Volta
You sit in a 2 person bubble connected by its roof to a track and cruise through the attraction.

We then went on a ride we knew nothing about called Villa Volta, it looks so innocent from the outside and the long story before didn't really give us any clues as to what the ride was. After walking through the house we got to this room with long benches with bars that went over our legs. It was then that I realized these bars meant that we were going upside down! This ride ended up being about a haunted house and we were sitting in a room that revolved around the house. The sides of the house moved and we went upside down and got to see every room as we spun in the air.

From that unexpected experience Suzie wanted to do something a little less sick inducing and thought Vogel Rock sounded like a peaceful ride.
the waterlilies
When we got inside I realized it was a massive roller coaster and suggested that she may want to do something else. This was a really quick roller coaster that spent half the time either upside down or sideways and I loved it! I tried to shoot some photos during the ride but none turned out :)

We also watched some very nice shows through out the day which included dancing lilies (very nice), a little match girl, Spooksalot (loved the music) and a couple of others but I forgot what they were called.

At the end of the day I just had enough time for 2 more rides, the first ride being the bob sled run. I really enjoyed this ride the most as it is literally a bob sled run down a track. The only disappointment was that it was over in about a minute, the high speed sideways turns were my favourite.
flying carpet

The very last ride we went on on was the rapid ride again as I enjoyed it before and I wanted a photo of the 2 of us on the ride. We had the boat to ourselves and were able to move around and avoid getting wet. This worked great except for the end when a fountain came out of no where and got both of us.

I did a lot more in the park than I have written about here, but it gives a good idea of the cool things that you can see at de Efteling.
Suzies dream house :P
Suzie's dream house :P
oran0utang in panda dream
oran0utang in panda dream
black swan in the Netherlands!
black swan in the Netherlands!
cool tiger on the Fata Morgana
Langneck
Langneck
mermaid
mermaid
Suzie at the entrance to Sprookjes…
Suzie at the entrance to Sprookje…
inside a mushroom