...And then there was one...

Phoenix Travel Blog

That morning we got up at 4:00 am, gathered our things, jumped in a taxi, and headed back to the Singapore Airport one last time; by that point, we had been there 3 times already on the trip; once upon our arrival, the second upon our departure to Bangkok, and then just the night before when we arrived back from Bangkok.  We were becoming experts at the Singapore airport.

As we pulled up, I knew we were all dying to go home, but it was still hard to accept; even finishing writing this blog it's hard to accept all over again.  The whole trip seemed like too much of a miracle to end.  How did 3 weeks feel so much like 3 months?  How did 3 girls, 2 of which barely knew each other before the trip (Michelle and Gracie had hardly met, I just promised them they would like each other) get along THIS WELL for THIS LONG?  Every day had brought a new adventure, a new friend, a new lesson... and we had never lost sight how amazing it was that we had made it this far from our homes.  We were better friends that when we had started, could finish each others sentences, knew it was time to go, but knew we were leaving part of our hearts behind.  It was hard, but it was wonderful.

We checked in and began the long flight home.  Back through Tokyo, back through Los Angeles, and finally, to Phoenix.  While we waiting outside, Gracie's mother unexpectedly showed up for her - so then it was down to just Michelle and I.  Then Michelle's boyfriend arrived for her pickup.  And then there was one.  I stood on the curb, and the trip was officially over.  A moment later my friend Kristin pulled up to get me, and we drove back into Phoenix.

WaltJake says:
I must say I really enjoyed reading your blog...I did an almost identical trip with two friends about two months before you (Hong Kong,to Bangkok, to Singapore) and we saw many of the same places. The canals, the palaces, Sentosa Island,etc. reading your story brought me right back there!
Posted on: Feb 10, 2007