Off to Penang

Penang Travel Blog

The view from our room

We flew off to Penang; little did we know the sad situation that would befall it a month and a half later.  I had never been to a tropical island of any kind, so this was all very new to me.  We flew in on Malaysian Air, and that was great.  For very little money we were able to fly first class, which we never get to do.  They kept offering us "hot savories" on the plane.  They weren't for me (I didn't like them) but I thought it was funny.

The view as we landed took my breath away.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing was real; it looked like it was something out of a movie set.  The Penang airport is VERY small, and had a carpet with a design that resembled something out of "The Little Mermaid".   We found a cab, and headed to our hotel, which was way on the other side of the island.

The perfect first dinner in Penang
  We were staying at the Shangri-La Golden Sands Resort, on Batu Feringgi Beach on the north side of the island.  This was a great hotel that we got for a good price.  I would recomend it.

We changed into pure relaxation mode; swimming, reading, walking the beach, meeting wonderful people.  The hotel had a restaurant by the ocean called "Sigi's by the Sea", and it had the best food!  Because we were not that far from Australia and NZ, the lamb and the beef was out of this world.  It was a wonderful meal for all of us.  There was a band that began to wander and play, and they were fantasic.  (You'll see them behind Gracie and Michelle in the picture here).   It was perfect - perfect food, perfect company, perfect music, and all the while, about 6 feet from the surf.  Check it out if you go, for sure.

HEAVEN ON EARTH