First full day in Bangkok

Bangkok Travel Blog

The wonderful Thai musicians at dinner.

When I woke up on my first morning in Bangkok, I was in for a real shock.  It had been so dark when we had arrived, you couldn't really see much.  I went to the balcony, opened the curtains, and suddenly I had been transported to a completely foreign time and place; there were countless boats on the river, of all types and sizes, all moving in different directions.  It was an unforgettable moment for me.

After we got ourselves together, we headed out for lunch, to a place we read about in the paper that morning.  The skytrain is the local transportation, and it's easy to use and great to get around with.  DO NOT try to get around with taxis in this city; you will use up all your time in traffic jams, and use up all your money.

Our restaurant.
  The skytrain is by far the way to go.

We wandered some side streets, let ourselves get a little lost for the fun of it, bought some silk at Jim Thompson's, which is really famous but truth be told, was my least favorite of all the silk I bought on the trip.  It was cool to see the store, but I don't know, it wasn't my favorite silk.  We found a little internet cafe and let people back home know we were alive.

On the way back to the skytrain, Michelle found a place selling Mangosteens.  Since her family is from Sri Lanka she knows about this gift from the gods - but Gracie and I were completely ignorant to it.  For those of you who don't know, mangosteens are the greatest fruit in the world, but you can't buy them in the US at all.  They are to die for.

Fireworks over the river.
  Red-ish/purple-ish and hard on the outside, you break it open and there are segments inside that are a white color, with a taste I can't explain - a combo of grapes, oranges, peaches and cherries... there's no way to explain, but it's heaven on earth.  If you can't make it to SE Asia, but you make it to London, go to Harrods Food Halls, they often sell them there - it's worth a try, it will change your life.  We spent some time on the balcony of our room, eating mangosteens, drinking coke, and watching the boats.

That night we ate dinner at Salathip, a restaurant at the hotel.  It is right on the river, and is an amazing Thai restaurant.  We loved it, and had an amazing time.  After dinner, there were fireworks over the river.  Again, a truely unforgetable experience.  What a night.

The wonderful Thai musicians at di…
The wonderful Thai musicians at d…
More beautiful fireworks
More beautiful fireworks
Traditional Thai dancer.
Traditional Thai dancer.
Playing by candlelight.
Playing by candlelight.
Bangkok Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
This restaurant is behind the Bangkok Shangri-La.  Even if you don't stay at this lovely hotel (although I recommend you do), you still need to s… read entire review
Bangkok Hotels & Accommodations review
This beautiful hotel right on the banks of the Chao Phraya River was our home away from home for 4 nights in November of 2004.  There are two dif… read entire review
Bangkok