ESL Octofinals

Pattaya Travel Blog

Public Speaking Finals

Chris is a panelist in this round. He broke as judge and we're proud of him. Josh broke to Public Speaking finals, and he'll give his speech tonight during the Championship Dinner. PSU has had a good run this year.

Yesterday we made it to Pattaya. It was a day with many ups and downs. We had to wait an absurdly long time to check into our rooms. So we meandered down to the beach, which is gorgeous. This hotel is obscene with the amount of large pools, drinks in coconuts, and the inordinate amount of Russians/Eurotrash on the beach. Speedos galore!

We started out the trip with Pina Coladas in coconuts. Jenni from Alaska and I indulged, and we sat in the sun and gorgeous breeze and had a lovely time.

We finally got to check in (what an absurd and disorganized process) and got our rooms.

They're large and have two (!!!) bathrooms [note: Rebecca and I *scored* because we got a suite. Almost everyone else got craptackular rooms]. I took a shower and got ready for dinner with the team, and for Irish Night. I wore my green tank top and felt kind of pretty for a change.

The team went to an Italian restaurant to eat. It was poorly managed. The meals half of us ordered never came, and when we inquired, it turned out that they had run out of that food and never told us. We essentially dined and ditched (we'd all gotten the poor excuse for a salad bar, at least) by throwing a couple hundred Baht (about $8 all told) on the table, and then went to Irish Night.

I drank a LOT. Jameson, Baileys, Beer Beer Beer, Thai Whiskey. I'd picked up a liter of Thai beer on the way, and busted the cap off on a trash can (to feel extra classy) and downed a lot of liquor once there. There were drinking games and crazy shenanigans. I was getting really trashed, and a lot of stuff happened once people drank too much, and I really don't feel like talking about that here anymore.

Rebecca, Me.
Rebecca, Me.
J. Scott Rodriguez, Me, Chris
J. Scott Rodriguez, Me, Chris
Mica and Krissy from San Bernardin…
Mica and Krissy from San Bernardi…
Jenni and Severin from Alaska.
Jenni and Severin from Alaska.
Chris judging ESL Octas.