Florence

Florence Travel Blog

Me, Dario, Michelle, Roberto, Lorenzo, and Rogier

After spending another nice day roaming the city, it was time to meet up with the Couchsurfers for dinner!  Dario had told us to meet him at a certain set of stairs at the train station; so we headed over there, and began to wait.  We worried for a bit that we were at the wrong place, but then Rogier (the Couchsurfer from Amsterdam that was also joining us) walked around the corner.  We spoke with him for a little bit, and then Dario arrived to walk us over to the restaurant.

It was the best evening I could have ever asked for, as we spent time with Karla, Guido, Roberto, Lorenzo, Dario, and Rogier, along with one of Guido's friends that joined us for some of the evening.  The food was lovely; it was a small restaurant that served pizzas and other classic italian food.

Guido and his guest

It goes without saying I think that the company was amazing.  I have never felt so welcomed and we all couldn't stop laughing.  They were all really funny and smart, with great stories to tell.  Karla was originally from California, but had moved to Italy for school a long time ago, and then married Guido; she's been in Italy for about 11 years.

At one point in the meal, I saw Dario take a thick white paper napkin and begin to fold it and bend it; I was unsure what he was doing.  I then excused myself for a moment, and when I came back, there was a perfect white paper rose waiting on my seat!  As it turns out Dario is gifted in origomi, and can make just about anything out of paper!  I couldn't believe how detailed it was, with each individual petal, the second stem breaking off into a leaf.

.. very impressive!

From dinner, we headed to an after hours club they knew of in town.  Technically, it was a "members only" club - these seem to be very popular in Florence, and I have no idea what the point of them is, since to become a "member" they just write down your name and give you a paper card!  Why bother?  Still it was a fun place, and we would have never found it by ourselves!  There was live music playing, and inexpensive drinks, and we spent a couple more hours there.  It was a great time.

Michelle and I got a little lost on the way home that night, but only enough to have a slightly longer walk home, which was really nice.  The streets were very quiet, there was almost no one on it, and all the Christmas lights glowed.

The perfect end to the perfect day.

Amanda says:
I heart couchsurfing too. :-) I think that night is what made me love it so much!!
Posted on: Nov 30, 2007
AndiPerullo says:
I heart couchsurfing!!! It really was the perfect day for you. :)
Posted on: Nov 30, 2007
Me, Dario, Michelle, Roberto, Lore…
Me, Dario, Michelle, Roberto, Lor…
Florence