Sand sand and more sand

Van Nuys Travel Blog

So it is March and it is slow at work.  It is also hockey playoffs and the Canucks are about to play a couple of games in Anaheim California.  So I ask a few days off work and quickly head to my local travel agent and buy a last minute airline ticket to LAX.  The whole plan of the trip was to see a good friend in suburban LA and watch a couple of good hockey games and at the same time soak in some sunshine.

I am lucky that in LA I a good friend that lives in Van Nuys, just north of LA.  Dave is a great guy, even if he cheers for the wrong hockey teams, and one of the best things he does is let me stay in his home whenever I visit So Cal.  One some occasions, and this was one of them, he lets me borrow his Tercel so I do not have to rely on the unreliable LA bus service.  Like I said the big reason for the trip but really the memories have to do with a side trip I made with the trusty Dave mobile.

The 26th was a day off between games in Anaheim so in the morning I jumped into the car without much of a plan.  I got onto one of the many freeways and just started to head east.  It really is surprising how long you can drive ion one direction and still be in the city of LA.  After what must have been almost 2 hours I was finally starting to get into the hills and was seeing fewer strip malls and more and more sand.  I really thought I was on the freeway to Las Vegas and was just going to keep following it for no other reason I was curious what was around the next corner.  At some point I saw a fairly large shopping center and thought maybe I should pick up a map.  Fortunately this mall had a Borders book store and good thing it did.  I was actually on the highway to Phoenix which  might be a fine city but I did have no reason to visit.  So a quick route correction and I was heading in the correct direction.

Van Nuys