Mardi Gras 2008

New Orleans Travel Blog

Our non-alcoholic drinks:((

I finally did Mardi Gras in New Orleans and let me tell you, I will never forget it!

Mardi Gras begins on what they call "Twelth Night" which is 12 days after Christmas.  So the Carnival goes on thru January & February but ends on "Fat Tuesday" which is the day before Ash Wednesday.  It is 46 days before Easter, so it will fall on different days each year.

The girls and I decided to go down for one day/night so we chose Saturday (Feb. 2)  because it was right before Fat Tuesday.  Jen and I got down to New Orleans at around noon, checked into the hotel and headed down to Canal Street to watch the Krewe of Iris parade.

A balcony full of beads
  Of course we had to stop to get a tasty frozen Daiquiri, which we neglected to go down to the next block to get our shot of alcohol put in.  We wondered why it didn't taste the alcohol...... The parades are where you get all kinds of beads, cups, stuffed animals and doubloons and to see all the beautiful floats.

After the parade, Ann showed up, so we headed to down to Bourbon Street.  It was just like you read and hear about: full of crazy and fun people drinking, yelling, throwing beads and Yes, women flashing for beads!!!  We headed, of course, down to the famous Pat O'Brians where you have to get their world famous Hurricanes! Please drink slowly and pace because these babies are STRONG!!

We then headed back to the hotel around 6pm to meet up with Kellye and Kristan and got ready for round 2!!

We got back to Canal Street to get our spot for the Endymion parade, which is one of the largest parades during Mardi Gras.

A couple of tips:

1) The parades never start on time  2) They block off the whole entire block so you are stuck there for about the next 3 hours  3) You can bring your own alcohol & coolers which is great because you are not going anywhere  4)  Bathrooms are rare: we did find one where they charged us $2, BEST $2 I ever spent!!!

And the biggest tip:  The people on the floats that are throwing the beads are OUT FOR BLOOD!!!! Watch out!! Can't tell you how many times I got whacked in the face with bags of beads, cups, footballs, other people, etc............ Be careful!!

So, after the parade ended which was 9pm, Ann & I went back to the hotel to drop off our goodies and Kellye & Jen decided to do some clean up!!  We met back at the corner of Bourbon & Canal, but not without a little excitement for me and Ann along the way.

Endymion parade
  I will not elaborate, but a warning to be careful of everything that is going on around you and be thankful that the police that are around! So, on to Bourbon Street which was an absolute Madhouse!  We tried to make our way up to the "Cat's Meow" (Great Karaoke Bar), but had no luck because the police were trying to stop the crowds at the end of the block.  Imagine if you will, we are trying to go UP Bourbon Street while you have people trying to come DOWN Bourbon St. and no one can go anywhere so it became a massive stampede!!!  Everyone was getting crushed, people losing their shoes, crying, our friend Kristin was being strangled by her beads....... CHAOS!!  Thank God a man next to us told us to move to the sidewalk where we grabbed onto the poles and a police man.
The girls & I
  We did manage to go to the next street and get to the Cat's Meow.  We got safely back to the hotel, via a cab, at around 4am.

Mardi Gras was definately a fun, exciting, crazy, scarey and memorable experience for me.  I can say I will be back next year because the city of New Orleans is fantastic:))

It is nice to see all the people coming back to the city after the devastating hurricane.  New Orleans is such an amazing city to visit any time of the year:))

vulindlela says:
Good times, good times!
Thanks for sharing that fun blog!
Posted on: Feb 19, 2008
Bourbon St.
Bourbon St.
Getting stopped by the party patro…
Getting stopped by the party patr…
Krewe of Iris parade
Krewe of Iris parade
The famous balconies on Bourbon St.
The famous balconies on Bourbon St.