Life and my history

United States Travel Blog

Well I guess I’ll start my blog off with a little history and why I think I can’t stay still. Of course the reason for that is probably multi-faceted.

My mother was from Georgia and my father, a truck driver from Ohio met while he was over the road and she worked at a diner he frequented. After a few meetings and talking they decided to date and eventually married.  My mother moved with him to Toledo, Ohio and became pregnant with twin boys (my brother and I). We were born in August of 1972 and by 1980 we had moved to Mississippi, Texas, Florida, Georgia, and back to Ohio. By then my mother and father had separated and divorced in the early 80’s. My mother struggled to raise 2 rambunctious boys on her own until she remarried in around 1984. From 1984 until 1988 we mainly traveled to Georgia and back for visits and up to Michigan for camping and salmon fishing trips and to Canada. That marriage ended in 1989 when he decided younger was better, I personally had no problems with that since I didn’t like the way he treated my mother. My mother, brother, and I moved back to Cartersville, Georgia and lived happily ever after. Ok, fine, it doesn’t end there, LOL. Well, my brother and I turned 17 that year and decided in early 1990 to join the US Army. By April of 1990 I was whisked away to boot camp in Oklahoma where I spent about 6 months then back to Ft. Benning, Georgia where I went to school to learn how to throw myself out of an airplane (while it’s flying). Of course the first three years of military service I was just in the National Guard so I stayed in Cartersville. Shortly after jump school I met a girl and in 1991 decided to get married (what was I thinking). That lasted about 2 years but we did take a few vacations up to the Smoky Mountains, Gatlinburg, and Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, and Cherokee, North Carolina. After that marriage ended I started dating an old girlfriend that I had dated when I was 17 and in 1993 we married. This is where life really took off. My 3 year National Guard enlistment was over and I was getting restless for a move. About November of 1993 I decided to go back into the military only this time to active duty. Over the next 7 years I was stationed in North Carolina, Korea, and Texas.  During this time I deployed to Great Inagua, Bahamas for a month, Haiti for 6 weeks, and NTC in California for a month. I traveled over those 7 years to Hawaii, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, Washington DC, Pennsylvania, Mexico and probably a few other places I’m forgetting. During this time I had three wonderful children (well, I didn’t do the physical part of having them) but I now have three great (most of the time) boys. In 2000 I decide to get out of the military and become a normal citizen, well I did get out of the military, and the jury is still out on the normal part.  I decided to take a job with a telecom company which required me to be on the road 24 / 7 with 7 other people I had to supervise and schedule their time while traveling through the south-east United States.  That contract was only 6 months and I decided to go back to Georgia and work locally.  I had a good job as a Digital Tech with the Telephone Company when in Late 2001 I started to get the itch again. I had to travel, so I decided it had been years since I had been to Ohio so, off we went. In 2002 my wife and I separated and decided to go our own way but didn’t actually divorce until 2005.  I did manage to fight off the urge to move from Ohio for about 5 years. I did however travel the East coast quite a bit from Canada to Florida and west to Indiana and Illinois. But you can only avoid scratching an itch for so long, so in late 2006 I decided to move to Alabama where my brother was living. I got into working with the military again and decided a little less than a year later decided to take a job offer in Iraq. On the way I was afforded the opportunity to spend about 3 weeks in Germany and I got to go to Italy before arriving in Iraq.

I believe that brings us up to date.  Next week I will be leaving Iraq for R&R. I am going back to Germany and will travel around to neighboring countries and hopefully get some good pictures, memories, and cultural experiences in the process.  Of course it won’t be long enough before I have to return to Iraq but if my long term goal works out I will be back in Germany at the end of the year to work and live and will be able to bring my kids over.  There are so many places I would like to take my kids in Europe and the Middle East to give them the cultural experiences that I feel will help shape their views of life. After that who knows what is next, I can only hold on and enjoy the ride as long as possible.

Well, that’s my story for those of you that were interested enough to read it. I believe that my life has shaped who I am today even the parts I didn’t like at the time.  I also can’t understand how someone can live in the same place their whole life and only travel a little bit.

At times I like to get out and just drive with no Idea where I’m going, how long I’ll be gone, or when I’ll get home. Sometimes you see things you would have never seen before this way. So, to close I will tell you what I told my ex-wife one time after a trip in which she accused me many times of being lost, I said “We made it home therefore we’re not lost” My philosophy now is If you ever make it home then you were never truly lost, you just took a more scenic route to get there.

“There are many paths in life that take you to the same place; you don’t always have to take the beaten one.” Daniel Cox

49,381 km (30,684 miles) traveled