Haircut with trust...

Panama City Travel Blog

Via from my temporary apartment.

Well, I am getting familiar with the neighborhood in which I will be living.  As of now, I am staying in a 3 bedroom apartment that the Federation maintains for delegates that are in the city visiting either the Zone, Region, or PADRU.  The International Federation is in the process of decentralizing its operations from Geneva into Zones/Regions and Panama is the site of the Region for the Americas.

This morning, I woke up to a beautiful sunny 80 some degree day, with lots of sun.  Decided to browse the area and to pick up items that I am in need of.  After spending my last 20.00 in a wonderful Sushi Restaurant last night (by the way, which only cost 9.00!!!), I first stopped at an ATM to withdraw some cash.  After 3 attempts, no such luck!  The bank is unsure as to why my card is not working, and I am at the time, cashless until they solve the dilema :)  But, not fear, there is always plastic.

Via from my temporary apartment.

The canal and previous US occupation of the country brought much commerce to the area, to include many merchants whom accept credit cards.  With that, I went to the supermarket, and then decided to swing by a salon for a haircut.

Asking, "aceptas tarjetas de credito?", the receptionist said "si...si".  After all, they did have the Visa/MC logo on their door.  After a wonderful 5.00 haircut, I went to pay the receptionist and she stated that they just moved into the building last week and still have no phone line for the credit card machine!

Cashless and creditless, I ask "que hizo?"...what do I do?  The owner of the salon with a large smile says, "no worries....stop back next week and the machine will be working.

Via from my temporary apartment.
"  I insist on giving them my address, phone number, blood type, etc... and the owner insists that I not worry about it.

TRUST!  As am North American, I am not use to seeing such asks of kindness and trust.  I tried to imagine the conversation that I would have in the States if such an occasion had passed.  I figures that A)They would have asked me to write a check 2)They would have held me ransom or C) They would have called the cops! :)

So there you have it...my first haircut paid for with trust.

Until later!

jonoa says:
Hahaha. I am going to lose sleep as a point to remember to return on Monday and pay the great merchant.
Posted on: Mar 08, 2008
CopCar says:
Outstanding! That goes for the friendliness of the merchants (you have an honest face, after all!) and for the views from your apartment. Thanks for sharing.
Posted on: Mar 08, 2008
My living room.
My living room.
You can see the Pacific behind the…
You can see the Pacific behind th…
Panama City