Riding on a whale to a new adventure

New York Travel Blog

Looks like a whale on the outside.

I depart Hong Kong to Dubai with a connection to New York JFK.  This trip started off small with seven flights on Air Asia but one thing led to another and I'm off to a different corner of the world.  What do I mean by "one thing led to another"?

Well ... Kimball had annual leave coming up and we thought we should go to Cuba before Castro croaks (he's no longer in charge and things are changing quickly).  Originally I'd return to NZ in order to travel together but Emirates had a good Hong Kong - New York fare ... and with various frequent flyer bonuses I would get more than double points which would give me about an Auckland - Singapore return!  Ludicrously good!

While on transit in Dubai I overheard an African man talking to the airline clerk about his luggage .

Super sharp wide-screen personal TV screen with USB connection for picture, music and PDF files.
.. he had happily paid excess baggage for 10 pieces totalling 300kg from Beijing to Dubai to Lagos.  They are all packed with mobile phones!  This place is certainly at the crossroads of world trade.

After a shower and some food I boarded Emirates' new Airbus A380 to New York.  Yeah ... I couldn't the First Class fare which would entitle me to use the onboard showers!  From the outside the aircraft was like a whale!  On the inside, it was spacious even in Economy class.  Based on my elbow-to-fingertip estimate, I thought the seats were about 1 inch wider than on most Boeing 747s.

Even better still, the flight wasn't full an I had three seats to myself (some people had four).  Some dumb-asses requested onboard upgrades to Business Class using the frequent flyer points ... rather pointless as it wouldn't be as comfortable as 3-4 Economy seats.

Looks like a whale on the outside.
Super sharp wide-screen personal T…
Super sharp wide-screen personal …
New York