Leaving Cuba

Havana Travel Blog

Cubans and Habaneros

Those who know me will know that I love to stereotype people!  Not in a nasty sense ... but since we’re leaving Cuba today, here goes my view of Cubans and the Cuban life:

• It seems a disproportionate number of people have amazing bodies.  They may work out ... but where?  I thought you’d need a good protein diet to get that kind of lean muscle mass.
  • People are generally quite happy ... somewhat unexpected for a socialist state!  Maybe it is their music or the sunny weather.
  • They seem to spend a lot of time sitting on their front door-step or on the verandah.
  • There aren’t a lot of shops ... they’re a little easier to find in smaller cities as you can locate the centre more easily.  Once you find the shops, you won’t find much inside ... sometimes you have trouble finding biscuits!  But never problem finding soft drinks or alcohol.

Spirituality

While I'm not a big drinker, I enjoy wine with my meal and beer in hot countries (especially in countries where they are cheaper than water).  But I'm not a fan of spirits.

Cuba has changed that ... I've become more spiritual  ;-)   I now like my slushy mojitos, daiquiris, pina coladas etc.

Savouring Cuba

We planned hard to fit in one more lobster meal before flying out today.  So we were knocking down the door of the restaurant at 11am in order to make our flight.  Just when we thought the lobster meals couldn’t get any better, we were pleasantly surprised.  There would have been more than one whole lobster in a single meal.

I flossed my teeth at the airport to savour the last taste of that Cuban lobster.

Havana