PADI Open Water Scuba Course Day 2

Cebu Travel Blog

We got picked up from our hotel to go to Vista Mar Hotel for our first day of hands-on training. We started off in the pool with basic skills for about one hour then walked down to the beach for my first ever dive in the sea, followed by more in-pool skills training.

The in-pool training was a bit distracting as there was a local party being held at the venue ... lots of drinking (hard spirits) at breakfast time ... Filipinos really know how to party ... and then later kids, kids and more kids in the pool while we tried to do our training.

The sea was unseasonally rough and I really didn't enjoy swimming back after our first dive ... and the instructor said "You don't look like you're enjoying yourself". I actually think diving is easier than the swimming and the walking around when fully-kitted out.

We spent the rest of the day continuing with the skills training. The skills are mainly related to emergency situations or when things go wrong ... eg. how to clear water from your mask, how to find your regulator (mouthpiece) when you lose it. There was one which I really struggled with ... how to take off your BCD (buoyancy control device, or basically a inflatable jacket) and re-don it while floating.

It was a long day starting at 8:30 and finishing around 5:00 most of which was spent either in the pool or at sea.

Cebu