Arriving in Warsaw

Warsaw Travel Blog

The hotel Meridien Bristol, Warsaw

I wanted to go either somewhere hot or somewhere cold for my 30th birthday. Having a birthday in January means that the weather is always disappointing. I wanted either some sun, or some proper snow.

I had some other criteria for choosing a destination: I didn't want the flight to be too long, and I wanted to go somewhere where alcohol would be freely available. We decided fairly quickly that it was going to be easier to satisfy my requirements by going somewhere in northern Europe that would have snow, then looking to go somewhere warm.

One plan had been to go to Lappland, but when we started looking at the cost we were put off. Instead I looked around at the various cities of eastern Europe to which we could fly direct. Warsaw turned out to have reasonably priced flights which left at decent times, allowing us to make the most of the weekend without the need for any early morning "red-eye" flights, and so the decision was taken.

Zoe in the hotel room

For once I'd decided to actually spend a little bit of money on a trip away, which meant that we were staying in a nice hotel, and even had a hotel car meet us at the airport. This was probably an extravagance, but it felt rather nice. Our hotel was the Meridien Bristol, which had once been one of the great hotels of Warsaw, but had been closed for a long period, and only relatively recently re-opened.

The hotel was not perhaps as grand as I had imagined, but was still rather better than we are used to! Sadly they had only supplied a single fluffy bathrobe, which we therefore had to fight over!

We soon began to work out why we might have got such a good online price for the hotel: the pool was closed for refurbishment, and the restaurant was closed due to a weekend full of private functions. This didn't bother us too much, though. In fact we were greatly amused one night, as we headed out through the lobby in search of a restaurant, to be met by the sight of a line up of party goers in black tie and ball dresses, lined up by the front door waiting to greet somebody, no doubt. We walked along the line wrapped up in our big coats, hats and scarves, trying to suppress a giggle!

Warsaw