Gateway to the Nullarbor

Norseman Travel Blog

NOVEMBER 28TH TO NOVEMBER 29TH NORSEMAN          NULLARBOR NOVEMBER 29TH TO DECEMBER 1ST

I TRIED ADDING 8 PHOTOS FOR THIS ENTRY, BUT INTERNET EXPLORER KEPT CRASHING- KEEP LOOKING FOR WHEN I GET THEM UP

We arrived in Norseman in stifling temperatures, about 35 degrees and not a hint of wind. The town seemed very quiet and eery.

I noticed lots of Aboroginals in the town, many of whom waved. It reminded me a bit of some Kenyan towns I visited. It seemed quite primative.

We found a hostel called the Railway Lodge. We were surprised to find it beautifully air conditioned with a well stocked bar. The owner was friendly (yet somewhat very gay!)

Norseman is the gateway to the Nullarbor plain, the stretch of nothingness that seperates the remote western cities to the eastern cities such as Adelaide and Port Augusta.

Just outside of Norseman you see the famous signs which give place names hundreds, or even thousands of kms away!

So yes, not one town for about 800 miles inbetween Norseman (remote in itself) and Ceduna over in South Australia. All that lies in between is straight road (including the longest straight section of road in the world, the ninety mile straight), and 3 or 4 roadhouses.

Only 3 hours out of Norseman we had to stop because of a fatal car crash. We had to sit for 5 hours with other travellers. Luckily, a nice couple allowed us under there canopy and gave us cold drinks....

We were very relieved when we drove into the small town of Ceduna in South Australia! All we had seen since Norseman was a few bushes and a few roadhouses!

Norseman