back to Saint-Louis

Saint-Louis Travel Blog

a gecko
Nanga Def. - Mangi fi. That's the form of greeting in Wolof (at least the guide of the ASAN told me that, but I don't know how to write it). About 80% of the Senegalese master this language. Most of the people speak French as well - English is rather rarely.

Compared to our accomodation in Ndoum the hotel in Saint-Louis was like heaven. We could cool down in the pool. Lovely!

Everyone of us had to prepare a lecture at home. My topic was the Islam in Senegal. 94% of the Senegalese are Moslems (Sunni). Religion is very important to the people there. On the streets you can see the people praying on their rugs. But I was astonished about the women - you can hardly see a woman that is veiled. The most of them wear the traditional clothes some of them even wear "western" clothes.
a crab
Either way the Islam in Senegal is very tolerant. When the Islam arrived in Senegal it mixed with the animism. So you can see lots of people wearing an amulet on their arms or hips - that has his origin in the animism. Characteristic of Senegal are the brotherhoods. Everybody belongs to one. Every brotherhood interprets the Koran in a different way. It's no problem to change the brotherhood. One of our guides told us that every member of his family belongs to another brotherhood. The widespreadest one is the brotherhood of the Mourides. It was founded by Amadou (every second man in Senegal is called Amadou or Mamadou ;)) Bamba - now he's holy for them. The leader of a brotherhood is called marabout.
lots of them
lots of them
Saint-Louis Hotels & Accommodations review
The stay at this hotel was agreeable. We had nice two bed rooms with air conditioner. The rooms were en suite. Unfortunately I can't tell you how much… read entire review
Saint-Louis