Family meet up

Nashville Travel Blog

Belmont Mansion

Well last week my wife had spring break so she left home without me, now its my turn.  A few of my cousins were also on spring break and created their own road trip around the South East of the US and on their way back to WI had a planned stop in Nashville.  That was close enough for me, so I went to meet up for 2 days.

Good drive.  Although I don't think you can plan on a 4 hour drive in the US without getting in at least one traffic jam.  But it wasn't bad and only 30 miles outside the city.  The second half of the drive gets very nice as Nashville is sitting right in the Appelachian Mountains and as you check out the skyline you also see the misty mountains all around.

Athena in the Parthenon art Museum

We did not stop in for the live music which (it was their trip not mine to decide what to do) but we still had a great time.  First night we stopped at centenial park which has a replica of the greek parthenon with a 70 ft tall statue of Athena inside.  It has also been turned into an art museum which had some excellent art displayed.  Yes, here in the US our history only goes back so far, and many of the precolumbus stuff was destroyed by settlers, so we copy things from other parts of the world if we think they are cool enough.  But not good enough to make me cross Greece of my list of places to visit.

Day 2 envolved a stop at the Belmont mansion and then over to the Hermitage (home of President Andrew Jackson).  If you are a fan of mansions then they were great tours.  My favorite was at the Hermitage they have also reconstructed a few of the slave quarters and have completed archeological studies finding tokens, money and other items from the slaves.  Some artifacts suggesting how some slaves held onto African traditions which could have been very dangerous as a slave in the US, and some hints at a possible islamic religious following among the slaves with tokens honoring the Ottoman King at the time.

Back view of the Hermitage
Back view of the Hermitage
Guide at the Hermitage
Guide at the Hermitage
Slave quarters at the Hermitage.  …
Slave quarters at the Hermitage. …
Inside the slave quarters
Inside the slave quarters
Otherside of the room
Otherside of the room
straight on view of the room.
straight on view of the room.
President Andrew Jacksons tomb.
President Andrew Jackson's tomb.
Nashville