Stranded alone in Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires Travel Blog

Lunch, daily
So my best friend and I planned to take a trip together, we'd been talking about where we should go for our "reunion trip" and settled on Buenos Aires.  I knew nothing about it - figured it was like other cities in South America.  Wow, I how wrong I was...  My best friend lives in NY, and me in Chicago and we hadn't taken a big trip together in about 3 or 4 years.   Needless to say I was a bit shocked and upset when I landed and got a text message from her that her flight was cancelled and they had booked her on a later flight.  Not a big deal, I figured I'd check into the hotel, explore the area and wait for her.  She was coming that night.  So about 7:00 rolls around and I get another message from her.  The second flight was cancelled.
La Boca, Buenos Aires
   This was not looking good.  I'd travelled alone before, for about 2 months in Europe, but this was my first time in South America and I just wanted to hang out and explore B.A. with my friend!  A couple of hours go by and my phone rings - thank God it worked! She wasn't coming.  They refunded her ticket and I was alone for 10 days in Argentina.

Needless to say, the hotel wouldn't let me stay because we reserved a double and I was a single so I found a great hostel in the Recoleta neighborhood that I think was called San Giomondo.  Of course the first day sucked - coffee alone (man those people make a good cup of coffee), lunch alone (I think I ate that country clean out of empanadas), and dinner alone (my chloresteral easily doubled - no one should eat as much steak as I did).
Cemetary in Recoleta, Buenos Aires
   But I met some really sweet girls from Holland and they invited me out with them that night.  We ended up going to a club I'm pretty sure was called Pasha.  Apparently its an international chain...well I'm not a clubber at all  - I much prefer a local bar/pub, but those girls could party so having a good time was innevitable.

The next day I was upstairs checking my email and I met a great girl from Seattle who was traveling solo as well.  That brightened the mood as we travelled together for the next 9 days.  I wish I would have known about travbuddy then!

I don't remember what we did on a day to day basis, but Buenos Aires is such a fascinating city.  A week there just ins't enough.

Some of the highlights from BA:

La Boca - What a beautiful part of town.
Floralis Generica, Buenos Aires
  It sits along the Riachuelo river, which divides it from other provinces of the city and is the most colorful thing I've ever seen.   The main street, El Caminito, was packed with tourists but all for good reason.  There was a great little crafts fair but the real art was all the bright, different colored houses and restaurants.  I don't know that the history here was something to really be considered but wow, something to look at at.

Recoleta Cemetary/Eva Paron's grave -
A "special" graveyard for the wealthy, Cementario de la Recoleta was very impressive.  The cemetary is with mausoleums like I'd never seen before - the most elaborate things ever!  Personally, a wooden box is just fine for me but entire families could live in some of these they're so big and ornate.
The falls in Iguazu National Park
  We saw Eva Peron's grave here too.

Floralis Generica sculpture - Also in Recoleta/Bario Norte.  The sculpure is a HUGE flower in the center of a great park called Plaza Naciones Unidas.  It's made completely of aluminum with steel petals in the middle.  The pedals have red lights that glow at night, and every morning the sculpture closes up, and every night it opens.  I thought the bean at Mellenium Park in Chicago was cool...

Aside from Buenos Aires, my MIA friend and I had booked airfare from B.A. to Iguazu Falls in the north.   I would have gone alone buy my new friend Hillary decided to come with.  All the guide books talk more about the falls and scenery from the Brazilian side, but what I've heard they're much more impressive from Argentina.
The Devil's Throat, Iguazu National Park
  We took a boat ride from the coast to the falls.  Really it was more of a giant motorized white water raft, so fun to say the least.  The falls were so impressive!  And the boat got right up under them which was an amazing feeling because you could really sense how powerful they are.  After about a half second we were completely soaked, like wet dogs.

After the boat right, we started walking.  We walked, and walked, and w....  The wildlife was incredible.   Monkeys would come right up to us, giant birds, crazy insects. I'm sure there were some shots I probably should have gotten before going :)  It was pretty touristy and there were set paths and people everywhere, but worth the trip for sure.

We walked along this rickety "pier" to the Devil's Throat which literally looks like a giant hole in the ground that water is just dropping out of.
Houses in La Boca
  Basically we were standing over the top of the waterfall.  It felt like standing on the top of the earth.

We had 2 or 3 full days in Iguazu - I don't remember exactly.  Our hostel had a great pool, and it was HOT so we relaxed there a bit and did a hike in the forrest.  We got to "mountain" climb, repell, go canapy swinging and swim.

Vive Argentina!

world-traveller123 says:
Awesome blog. Brings back my memories of BA
Posted on: Aug 01, 2008
travelman727 says:
Fantastic blog! Your descriptions and photos of La Boca and Recoleta Cemetery bring back many happy memories of BA :-D
Posted on: Mar 10, 2008
The falls in Iguazu National Park
The Devils Throat, Iguazu Nationa…
The Devil's Throat, Iguazu Nation…