Day 5: Trip to Apamea, Serjilla, Basilica St. Simeon and Aleppo (4)

Aleppo Travel Blog

Baron Hotel (not my picture, I nicked it from the Internet)

An hour later Omar dropped us off at our hotel in the centre of Aleppo. It was an emotional goodbye. We've had a terrific three days with him, having had great fun and seen loads of things.
We checked into the wonderfully named 'Tourist Hotel', which was a remarkably good, clean and above all cosy hotel. Definitely the second-best hotel in Syria.

Aleppo is the second city of Syria, located in the north of the country near the Turkish border. The city just breathes a Mediterranean atmosphere and I immediately liked it better than Damascus. One of the reasons for this is because for once someone had actually thought of what a city is supposed to look like. Unlike the drab greyness of modern Damascus and Hama, in Aleppo people have made an attempt to keep all new buildings in a classical style.

In the evening we went to have a couple of drinks in the famous Baron Hotel. In the past this hotel bar had welcomed illustre guests like Agatha Christie, Sean Connery, Oscar Wilde, TE Lawrence... a line-up they now completed having served the one and only Relayer and Biedjee!

_francine_ says:
The fact that you spend a great 3 days with the taxi driver and had an emotional goodbye says a lot about who you are and how you relate to people - said in the most positive way. :-)
Posted on: Feb 16, 2009
Baron Hotel (not my picture, I nic…
Baron Hotel (not my picture, I ni…
photo by: Stigen